OpenSolaris 2008.05 Gives A New Face To Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voltaic View Post
    Maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough, but does it answer the question asked on the first page: Why would I want to use OpenSolaris over a distribution that ships with the GNU/Linux kernel?

Do I really gain anything as a user by choosing OpenSolaris, especially considering the licensing differences between Sun's offering and the GPL stuff that is out there. Sun is trying to make this into a commercial product right? Is that why they're reinventing the wheel? I feel like GNU/Linux does everything OpenSolaris does already, so why bother?
    In one word: ZFS. It's magical.

And in another, DTrace. Though I'm not sure if DTrace is available on GNU/Linux (disclaimer: my knowledge is mostly hardware-orientated, rather than programming-orientated.)

Comment

It's here!

Comment

I didn't read the article carefully enough, does it answer the question asked on first page. I want to use OpenSolaris over a distribution that ships with do I really gain anything as a user by choosing , especially considering the licensing differences between Sun's offering. Sun is trying to make this into a commercial product right. I feel like GNU/Linux does everything OpenSolaris does already

Comment

Originally posted by lockin View Post
          I didn't read the article carefully enough, does it answer the question asked on first page. I want to use OpenSolaris over a distribution that ships with do I really gain anything as a user by choosing , especially considering the licensing differences between Sun's offering. Sun is trying to make this into a commercial product right. I feel like GNU/Linux does everything OpenSolaris does already
          You haven't even read the thread. Including my original reply at the top of this page..

Comment

Working...
          X