Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
    The relevant claim that I would make is that the JVM ecosystem has a much more open and less Oracle-centric culture while the .NET ecosystem has a far more Microsoft-centric culture.
    I don't think anyone would argue that point, it's obvious.
    Lots of .NET fans argue against that point. I do think it's obvious.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    It's also completely irrelevant to most people, who just want something that works, and don't care where it comes from.
    For some people sure. Other people really love the intellectually open, free spirited nature of the JVM community.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
      How does Java work on Linux with hidpi displays? Right now, Java is the WORST when it comes to supporting these newer displays. Has there been improvements in this area or is this release all about changes to the core language?
      I've never ever heard this complaint before and I work with lots of people using Java every day on those fancy $1000 Apple super hi-def monitors.

Which apps or types of apps cause you problems? IntelliJ? Eclipse?

Comment

In my view Scala is definitely the language we should be supporting. Its a better replacement not only for Java, but also for Python and Ruby. It could really help Linux, but for it to really fullfill its true potential it needs a native implementation, so as Oracle can be removed from the equation. That however requires a lot more backing than Scala has now.

One thing that interests me is JEP 178 Statically linked JNI, no one else seems interested in this and I can't find any new info on it, but as far as I can make out JEP 178 has made it in to Java 8. This could certainly help Scala / Java applications targeting Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
          In my view Scala is definitely the language we should be supporting. Its a better replacement not only for Java, but also for Python and Ruby. It could really help Linux, but for it to really fullfill its true potential it needs a native implementation, so as Oracle can be removed from the equation. That however requires a lot more backing than Scala has now.
          The difference between native and VM bytecode is mostly perception.

It's awkward to run a .jar file on Linux or Windows. People don't know what the heck that is. It needs to feel native. If there is an internal VM, no one cares. Project Jigsaw in Java 9 is supposed to address this issue.

Oracle's involvement seems quite benign in the JVM ecosystem.

Scala is awesome and it benefits a lot from the JVM improvements in Java 8. As a language, Java is way behind Scala.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
            I've never ever heard this complaint before and I work with lots of people using Java every day on those fancy $1000 Apple super hi-def monitors.

Which apps or types of apps cause you problems? IntelliJ? Eclipse?
            But I'm using a Retina Macbook Pro and both of these IDEs have issues. Increasing the font size and enabling GTK integration for Java applications seemed to make Eclipse very usbable. However, the toolbar icons are still way to small. As for Android Studio (Google's work in progress IDE based off IntelliJ), it's still a mess. It's tiny in every way imaginable. These are my only Java apps.

Here is a screenshot that compares the three programs. From left to right you have Eclipse (some kind of Java/GTK2 hybrid I guess), Android Studio, and then Kate.

Also, sorry for the late response.
            Last edited by CTown; 09 March 2014, 01:42 AM.

Comment

build You can try it out.

Comment

Working...
              X