Linux hacker compares Solaris kernel code:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
    Well, for one there's that M5-32 with Oracle VM Server--which is a Linux-Xen system.
    But that's probably not what you meant.

And that is NUMA; if you don't believe me, believe Oracle:

(Quoting page 12 of http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/se...re-1920556.pdf)
    Ok I believe you. I will stop talking about that SMP and HPC stuff. Clearly my terminology is not really correct. I know what I want to say, but I dont say it correctly.

I am trying to say that there are no "single, fat" Linux servers with 16 or 32 cpus for sale. This IS true. The problem I have is: what do I mean with "single fat" Linux server? Clearly it can not be translated to "SMP". I need to read a bit and then come back. But my point is true and has always been true: There are no "single fat" Linux servers for sale with 16 or 32 cpus. But there are Linux servers for sale with 1000s of cpus and 10s of TB RAM. It looks like this:

Linux servers 1-8 cpus for sale. TRUE.
    Linux servers with 512 - 8192 cores for sale. TRUE. (These are clusters)
    Nothing in between. No 16 or 32 cpu Linux servers for sale. Why?

Linux developer Ted Tso wrote in a blog that until recently, 24-32 cores (not cpus) where considered as exotic hardware that no Linux dev had access to. So, how can Linux scale well on 24 cores, when no one can optimize for such servers?

I need to define "single, fat" Linux server better. Clearly I can not call them "SMP" servers. All large servers today with 32-64 cpus, mix tech from NUMA and SMP it seems. So I need to stop saying that. But my point remains: there are no Linux servers for sale with 16 cpus. Or 32 or 64. But there are 2048 core servers for sale (they must be clusters).

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      As I am also from sweden (as Kebabbert) I can tell you that no, his name is not 'Orvar Korvar', which is a (imo boring) 'joke' name in the same vein as Kebabbert (kebab + bert).
      True. "Orvar Korvar", is like... "Donald Duck". I remember that Kraftman posted this same sentence too. He said he had googled on me, and at last found my real name: "Orvar Korvar". So, Kraftman must be the same guy as OpenSLOWlaris.

Hence even now when Open Solaris is all but dead,
      The Sun distro OpenSolaris is dead, true. But the source code was forked and today the kernel is called Illumos. Those Solaris hackers that quit Oracle, have joined Illumos. For instance, half the ZFS team, all the DTrace team, etc. Illumos have new ZFS functionality that even Oracle does not have.

and Oracle is putting their energy behind Linux, Kebabbert still is carrying on his fight against Linux, which he sees as Solaris 'enemy' (ironic in how Linux is also open source which is what once attracted him to Solaris).
      Linus T and all Linux devs have always attacked Solaris, and wished it to die. Too bad if that would happen, which OS would Linux clone from then? No ZFS, no DTrace, no systemd, no Open vSwitch, etc.

But just as trying to have a conversation with 'slowlaris' is totally pointless, so is trying to have a conversation with kebabbert, you can point to any number of facts, he can lose every argument (as in the linked previous discussion with 'TheOrqwithVagrant'), but he will just lick his wounds and be back. Logic or arguments will never sway him, you'd have a better shot at having RMS embrace proprietary software or Ballmer to open source Windows (under GPL even).
      Maybe you are wrong? I challenge you, I challenge ALL of you, to show me a Linux server with 16 or 32 or 64 cpus for sale. Come on, how hard can it be? Just google a bit, and I will shut up. You know that mathematicians demand proof. And if you call me ugly names, but dont show any links to such a server - that is no way to convince a mathematician. If no one of you can show me such a link, maybe you should shut up the talk about Linux scaling well? There is not even a 16 or 32 or 64 cpu server for sale! Maybe you are wrong. Maybe I am right.

Comment

Shit, this took 2 hours to write. I dont have time for this shit. There are umpteen articles and quotes on Linux devs saying that Linux has bad code quality. And other devs too. I know I am right; Linux is inferior and unstable. Just read what Con Kolivas wrote. And can the Linux devs stop attacking Solaris? For isntance they said that ZFS is badly designed, because it is monolithic and violates layers "rampant layering violation". But BTRFS is the same, it is monolithic, a violates layers. But when BTRFS clones ZFS, it is a good design. Can they just stop attacking Solaris? And stop attacking BSD? Read what Kraftman, aka OpenSLOWlaris, aka Pawlerson writes. He accused the Boston bombers to be OpenBSD developers.

Linus T has some bad serious attitude problems, attacking everyone. "OpenBSD devs are masturbating monkeys, wish Solaris to die, etc". I dont understand why people does not see that Linus has attitude problems? They just cheer for him "that is the way to go! we need a strong leader! etc". Hell no, he has some bad people skills.
        Last edited by kebabbert; 10 May 2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          You usually need to hear the accused's side of the story too before forming a final opinion:

http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con...he_desktop.htm
          Ok, thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
            What truth? The guy clearly has no technical knowledge if he couldn't get to a command line login in FreeBSD.
            It seems he has more knowledge than most of the Solaris and BSD trolls present at Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
              Ok I believe you. I will stop talking about that SMP and HPC stuff. Clearly my terminology is not really correct. I know what I want to say, but I dont say it correctly.

I am trying to say that there are no "single, fat" Linux servers with 16 or 32 cpus for sale. This IS true. The problem I have is: what do I mean with "single fat" Linux server? Clearly it can not be translated to "SMP". I need to read a bit and then come back. But my point is true and has always been true: There are no "single fat" Linux servers for sale with 16 or 32 cpus. But there are Linux servers for sale with 1000s of cpus and 10s of TB RAM. It looks like this:

Linux servers 1-8 cpus for sale. TRUE.
              Linux servers with 512 - 8192 cores for sale. TRUE. (These are clusters)
              Nothing in between. No 16 or 32 cpu Linux servers for sale. Why?
              What's the difference between 64 cores and 64 CPUs from an operating system standpoint? Furthermore, is it better to have 64cores or 64CPUs in a single image?

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                Shit, this took 2 hours to write. I dont have time for this shit. There are umpteen articles and quotes on Linux devs saying that Linux has bad code quality. And other devs too. I know I am right; Linux is inferior and unstable. Just read what Con Kolivas wrote. And can the Linux devs stop attacking Solaris? For isntance they said that ZFS is badly designed, because it is monolithic and violates layers "rampant layering violation". But BTRFS is the same, it is monolithic, a violates layers. But when BTRFS clones ZFS, it is a good design. Can they just stop attacking Solaris? And stop attacking BSD? Read what Kraftman, aka OpenSLOWlaris, aka Pawlerson writes. He accused the Boston bombers to be OpenBSD developers.

Linus T has some bad serious attitude problems, attacking everyone. "OpenBSD devs are masturbating monkeys, wish Solaris to die, etc". I dont understand why people does not see that Linus has attitude problems? They just cheer for him "that is the way to go! we need a strong leader! etc". Hell no, he has some bad people skills.
                @Intellivision

Don't you have anything to say about that? As far as I remember you were talking something about emotions and childish replies, am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSLOWlaris
                  Translation:
                  Orvar Korvar (kerbabbert): WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAH!!!!! WAAAAAH!!!! SLOWLARIS IS SO CRAP BUT I DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! WAH! WAH! WAH!

Grow the fuck up, Korvar cry baby. BOO HOO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OpenSLOWlaris
                    Lots of people agree that Linux is Better then BSD/Solaris.
                    Lots of people would agree that Windows is better than Linux. But since this, like the sentence I quoted from you, is an argumentum ad populum it is not worth the keypresses needed to write it. The quantity of believers in a "fact" does say exactly nothing about how true it is in reality.

Linux FUCKS your crapBSD in the ass hard.
                    What is it with your anal fixation? Is there any hidden message, do you want to tell us something?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      Lots of people would agree that Windows is better than Linux. But since this, like the sentence I quoted from you, is an argumentum ad populum it is not worth the keypresses needed to write it. The quantity of believers in a "fact" does say exactly nothing about how true it is in reality.

What is it with your anal fixation? Is there any hidden message, do you want to tell us something?
                      Man, this 'BSDSucksDicks', aka 'LinuxAnalsSolaris', aka 'OpenSLOWlaris', aka 'kraftman' is so fckin hilarious! I feel real sorry for the guy, but then again, his mental illness is just too funny. Of course, because nobody takes this loser seriously we can just agree and laught at him.

Comment

Working...
                      X