Linux hacker compares Solaris kernel code:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasyt View Post

BTW. Windows Server 2012 as of today isn't insecure at all!
    yes, it is insecure and i also use to Linux

samsung s6 edge plus handyh?lle
    Last edited by Farber; 12 September 2015, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      Linux - and everyone - can do whatever they want with the BSD code.
      Not true at all.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      However, I don't know if it is reason to be ashamed, because as far as I know BSD motto sounds: to server others
      There is a point where the BSD license is way more mature than the GPL license, which is: "We expect everyone to share and to give code back to each other". However, humans are known for being AHoles, so there are people who will take a piece of BSD-licensed code and dual license it with the GPL, thus making the GPL improvements not accessable to the *BSD developers

Comment

Wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yes, it's old. CK obviously, like everyone else, can see the better design patters in the Solaris kernel. That doesn't mean he thinks it's a better kernel or OS overall. Better design does not equal a better end result (you can have a wonderfully designed turd.) Con is not using Solaris, nor intends to.
          Hmmm ....
          Better design equates to a better source-code-layout for the developers in order to reach their goals such as expand the functionality of the code-base, refactor portions of the source code base, source-code maintenance, etc. with minimal headaches. There is a reason why university-trained mechanical/civil/etc. engineers learn facets of good design .... so that multi-storey skyscrapers (for example) do not come crashing down. A balance has to be struck between performance of code, clarity of code/design, maintainability of code ... amongst other things.

I can write a very fast version of a certain algorithm but it's readability/design will be less optimal and, consequently, maintenance a headache. OTOH, I can write a much more maintainable/cleaner version of the algorithm with only a 5% performance hit. I prefer the latter. Also, if that algorithm is only responsible for a relatively small portion of the programs temporal footprint (e.g. consumes only 3% of the program's CPU time) then the high-performance option is less important.

You'd rather have a software developer feel inspired and embrace ZTDP (zero tolerance defect policy) due to working with well-designed source code rather than a software developer that does not look forward to dealing with poorly designed code that has grown with a hack-like mentality (lack of time/resources given for implementation of a proper design).

The catch is, well-designed code may come after several drafts/iterations of the project; at least for the very complicated projects.
          I do not think people would prefer to live in poorly designed houses.
          After the incubation period of sampling multiple designs/implementation, the order of good design trumps the chaos of poor design.

This is why more mature operating systems, e.g. Solaris, have something to offer in the respective technology space; e.g. DTrace, ZFS, SMF, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X