X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dnebdal
    replied
    Originally posted by geearf View Post
    I hope you do realize that by calling it "Slowlaris" you lose any sort of credibility and any further argument in your block of text becomes pointless.
    I was about to say the same. Thanks for writing it out for me.

Leave a comment:

• soupbowl
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I can provide you a list of Linux techs that everybody wants
    By all means do.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    You are terribly mistaken as usual. Slowlaris scales completely bad compared to Linux. Linux had advanced scaling techniques first. Commercial systems copied some of them later. Linux scales crap out of slowlaris and nearly everyone knows this - that's one of the reasons why Oracle is abandoning slowlaris. Wow, slowlaris will see only 16.384 CPUs. It's very small number compared to Linux - RHEL can see 64.000. It seems slowlaris is even more legacy than I thought. When comes to RCU Linux implementation is innovative and things like DTrace and ZFS aren't. ZFS is just one file system among many and DTrace is just one tool among many. Are you aware how old is the idea of file system? Do you know when the first file system was created? I can provide you a list of Linux techs that everybody wants, but you have to provide list of innovative slowlaris techs first. btrfs is completely different file system than zfs, so no, it's not a zfs wannabe.
    I hope you do realize that by calling it "Slowlaris" you lose any sort of credibility and any further argument in your block of text becomes pointless.

Leave a comment:

• soupbowl
    replied
    Solaris > Linux.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    IBM had RCU similar tech in their Mainframes, way back, in US Patent 4,809,168. Other OSes has used RCU similar techniques, it is an old idea:

Later, IBM created RCU for their commercial Unixes, and then donated RCU to Linux. I dont see how IBMs work is innovation from Linux? Maybe RCU was innovation from IBM, but RCU was not innovation not from Linux.

And because Solaris scales extremely well today, I dont see the need for RCU in Solaris. In 3 years from now, there will arrive a SPARC server with 16.384 threads. Solaris sees 16.384 cpus.

Thus, RCU is not innovative. It is just "good for Linux", but hardly innovative. It is not like Linux scales the crap out of every other OSes - if this was true, then every OS would have ported or copied RCU. And as we see, Linux has problems with scaling on SMP servers, so RCU can not be that good nor innovative.

So, can you provide a list of Linux tech that everybody just drools over, and wants? I do not consider an desktop as KDE as innovative. It is not something everybody ports or copies. KDE is just one desktop, among many. On the other hand, ZFS is something to drool over, everybody is copying or porting it. Or are you going to say that BTRFS is not a ZFS wannabe?
    You are terribly mistaken as usual. Slowlaris scales completely bad compared to Linux. Linux had advanced scaling techniques first. Commercial systems copied some of them later. Linux scales crap out of slowlaris and nearly everyone knows this - that's one of the reasons why Oracle is abandoning slowlaris. Wow, slowlaris will see only 16.384 CPUs. It's very small number compared to Linux - RHEL can see 64.000. It seems slowlaris is even more legacy than I thought. When comes to RCU Linux implementation is innovative and things like DTrace and ZFS aren't. ZFS is just one file system among many and DTrace is just one tool among many. Are you aware how old is the idea of file system? Do you know when the first file system was created? I can provide you a list of Linux techs that everybody wants, but you have to provide list of innovative slowlaris techs first. btrfs is completely different file system than zfs, so no, it's not a zfs wannabe.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Interesting claims. Can you prove your claims? Do you have links? I have links, for instance, when the Systemtap team confesses they copied from DTrace. Do you have links that prove DTrace copied from Linux?
    Your logic is wrong. You didn't prove KDE copied from CDE and it didn't stop you from claiming that. It's obvious DTrace copied from Linux, because Linux tools existed before DTrace which is just a copycat from other tools. The same about CDE which is a copycat from another DE. You see, slowlaris devs just copy from others, add bloat and release. That's how things work in slowlaris camp.[/quote]

Regarding DTrace (do you want to see links that prove this?)
    -FreeBSD has ported DTrace
    -Mac OS X has ported DTrace
    -QNX has ported DTrace
    -VMware has copied DTrace, and call it vProbes
    -IBM AIX has copied DTrace and call it ProbeVue
    -Linux has copied DTrace and call it Systemtap
    Regarding DTrace it copied from other tools and slowlaris devs called it DTrace.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    RCU is a scalable construct used in parallel programming.
    IBM had RCU similar tech in their Mainframes, way back, in US Patent 4,809,168. Other OSes has used RCU similar techniques, it is an old idea:

Later, IBM created RCU for their commercial Unixes, and then donated RCU to Linux. I dont see how IBMs work is innovation from Linux? Maybe RCU was innovation from IBM, but RCU was not innovation not from Linux.

And because Solaris scales extremely well today, I dont see the need for RCU in Solaris. In 3 years from now, there will arrive a SPARC server with 16.384 threads. Solaris sees 16.384 cpus.

Thus, RCU is not innovative. It is just "good for Linux", but hardly innovative. It is not like Linux scales the crap out of every other OSes - if this was true, then every OS would have ported or copied RCU. And as we see, Linux has problems with scaling on SMP servers, so RCU can not be that good nor innovative.

So, can you provide a list of Linux tech that everybody just drools over, and wants? I do not consider an desktop as KDE as innovative. It is not something everybody ports or copies. KDE is just one desktop, among many. On the other hand, ZFS is something to drool over, everybody is copying or porting it. Or are you going to say that BTRFS is not a ZFS wannabe?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    RCU is a scalable construct used in parallel programming. If a closed-source OS had copied it, we would have no way to know.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    Interesting claims. Can you prove your claims? Do you have links? I have links, for instance, when the Systemtap team confesses they copied from DTrace. Do you have links that prove DTrace copied from Linux?

Regarding DTrace (do you want to see links that prove this?)
    -FreeBSD has ported DTrace
    -Mac OS X has ported DTrace
    -QNX has ported DTrace
    -VMware has copied DTrace, and call it vProbes
    -IBM AIX has copied DTrace and call it ProbeVue
    -Linux has copied DTrace and call it Systemtap

Regarding RCU, I have never heard about it. Everybody (including the Linux camp) has heard about DTrace and ZFS because they are new and innovative. But RCU? What is that? If it is innovative and cool, everybody should have talked about it? Can you explain what RCU is? Can you make a list of OSes, that have ported or copied RCU?
    Last edited by kebabbert; 17 April 2012, 04:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    But now, everybody is looking at Solaris to see how it is to be done. Without Solaris, no cool tech in Linux. Heck, the entire Linux is a copy of Unix. Everything is a copy, and a bad copy. Scales bad, unstable, badly coded, etc. If Unix died, there would be nothing to copy. And Linux devs would be forced to innovate themselves. And looking at history, nothing in Linux has been worthwile to copy. Is there any Linux tech that is worthwile to copy?
    Nobody was ever looking at slowlaris, because it's an example of brokenness and bloathness. Everybody avoids slowlaris mistakes and Linux devs does the same. Slowlaris is just a copy cat of other unixes, but with bloatness added as a bonus - for marketing purposes. Linux is an operating system that's leading the way now. Thankfully such innovations like RCU are patented, so copycats from slowlaris cannot copy this wonderful, innovative and cool technology. What's left for slowlaris is just zfs, but even Oracle decided to use btrfs which isn't market stable by Linux standards. While slowlaris company decided to use it it seems they consider btrfs as stable as zfs or they prefer to run Linux with unstable btrfs rather than slow slowlaris with stable zfs. Nothing new, because they're going to kill slowlaris (which is by many considered dead already) and focus on Linux. That's also why their porting DTrace to Linux which is superior.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X