X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jalyst
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out about Nexenta. The release must have happened on one of the days that I was traveling.

no worries mate,

jed

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by jalyst View Post
    Nexenta had a release approx 2wks ago that's based on build 61

I've dloaded it, belenix, the base distro, & 1 other whose name I cant recall. Although I think it may simply be a 2nd download of one of the former.

Think I'll start with solaris CE, and then nexenta because I like their mantra of trying to emulate the ubuntu community (wish ubuntu would consider an opensolaris distro!). But I will def try belenix!

cheers,
    jed
    Thanks for pointing that out about Nexenta. The release must have happened on one of the days that I was traveling.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    replied
    BeleniX 0.6 (the version that came out last week) is based upon Solaris CE build 60. Last I checked (2 or 3 weeks ago) they were at build 63, so build 64 may be out now. Nexenta hasn't been released in a while so that's probably further back than build 60. I would recommend trying out BeleniX 0.6.
    Nexenta had a release approx 2wks ago that's based on build 61

I've dloaded it, belenix, the base distro, & 1 other whose name I cant recall. Although I think it may simply be a 2nd download of one of the former.

Think I'll start with solaris CE, and then nexenta because I like their mantra of trying to emulate the ubuntu community (wish ubuntu would consider an opensolaris distro!). But I will def try belenix!

cheers,
    jed

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by jalyst View Post
    Are none of the main 3rd party distros as bleeding edge as solaris express CE? I'm going to try solaris CE 1st, but also wanna give some of the other main distros a shot. Which distros would you recommend 1st (after solaris express CE) and why?

Love this site by the way, tis even now, quite a rarity on the net.

cheers,
    jed
    BeleniX 0.6 (the version that came out last week) is based upon Solaris CE build 60. Last I checked (2 or 3 weeks ago) they were at build 63, so build 64 may be out now. Nexenta hasn't been released in a while so that's probably further back than build 60. I would recommend trying out BeleniX 0.6.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    replied
    I am personally fond of Solaris Express CE that's frequently updated for "Nevada", since I prefer cutting edge packages.
    Are none of the main 3rd party distros as bleeding edge as solaris express CE? I'm going to try solaris CE 1st, but also wanna give some of the other main distros a shot. Which distros would you recommend 1st (after solaris express CE) and why?

Love this site by the way, tis even now, quite a rarity on the net.

cheers,
    jed

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    I am personally fond of Solaris Express CE that's frequently updated for "Nevada", since I prefer cutting edge packages. My favorite community-maintained one happens to be BeleniX as I've just been using it for quite a while, no major problems with it, and a nice selection of packages. I never got much into NexentaOS.

Leave a comment:

• jalyst
    started a topic opensolaris & GNU apps, best distro?

opensolaris & GNU apps, best distro?

I've dloaded a couple and am about to try...

However I'm curious to hear other peoples opinions as to which distro they prefer and why?

Is it Solaris express CE or one of its spin-offs?

cheers,
    jed
Working...
X