Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    I see :-) What was wrong?
    Gentoo didn't flat-out win. I'm afraid Michael needs to rig his benchmarks in order to get a favorable result for Gentoo and to satisfy the hardcore Gentoo crowd. Any other outcome than a clear win for Gentoo and they are just going to declare the benchmark 'flawed'.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Gentoo didn't flat-out win. I'm afraid Michael needs to rig his benchmarks in order to get a favorable result for Gentoo and to satisfy the hardcore Gentoo crowd. Any other outcome than a clear win for Gentoo and they are just going to declare the benchmark 'flawed'.
      Aah that kind of 'flawed'

Comment

Do we really have to have this whole discussion all over again? It went on for a long time in the other thread, so let me sum it up here:

Ha ha, Gentoo sucks you guys!

No it doesn't, Michael screwed it up!

Says the losers!

He tested a binary distro that doesn't represent a source-based Gentoo like we are talking about, it's no different than getting Ubuntu if you don't compile the source. It's not really Gentoo.

It is too Gentoo, it's based on the same code.

No, it was pre-compiled binary distro.

So what, still Gentoo.

Nuh uh.

Yes huh.

...... Goes on for many pages.....

Then someone finally comes in and says that real Gentoo users mostly use it for configurability anyway, and that the ricers are just a vocal minority. That source based Gentoo can probably go faster if you tweak it enough, but that anyone who is focused on that is missing the whole point of Gentoo.

And most of the following posters agree. And there was much rejoicing at the end of the flamewar by those who had stuck around.

Comment

I like that story. There should be more people summing long threads like that.

Comment

Working...
          X