Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana - Another OpenSolaris Fork - Coming Next Week

Phoronix: OpenIndiana - Another OpenSolaris Fork - Coming Next Week

While Oracle killed off OpenSolaris and the OpenSolaris Governing Board dissolved itself, the community of OpenSolaris developers have not given up but instead have begun working on their own community OpenSolaris-based operating systems to provide the world with choices beyond the upcoming Oracle Solaris 11 and Oracle Solaris Express 11. There is already the Illumos Project, which is a fork of OpenSolaris with a fully open-source code-base, that is now being used within the Nexenta and SchilliX operating systems, among others. We have just been tipped off as well that next week another new OpenSolaris derivative is being announced and it's to be called OpenIndiana...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenIndiana is not 'another' fork - it's a desktop distribution based on illumos.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post

OpenIndiana is not 'another' fork - it's a desktop distribution based on illumos.
      Yeah, I winced when I saw the dreaded 'f' word, but I was relieved when I saw the Illumos and OpenIndiana projects weren't overlapping. Good luck to all the folks involved with it..

Comment

What is so appealing about Open Solaris that these people will not move to FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          What is so appealing about Open Solaris that these people will not move to FreeBSD?
          • ZFS - I know FreeBSD also tries to keep up with that
          • Zones
          • DTrace
          • Wider hardware support than FreeBSD - at least that's my experience
          • SMF
          • Crossbow - network virtualization
          • Boot enviroments/live upgrades

Just from the top of my head...

Comment

Originally posted by Tenzer View Post
            • ZFS - I know FreeBSD also tries to keep up with that
            • Zones
            • DTrace
            • Wider hardware support than FreeBSD - at least that's my experience
            • SMF
            • Crossbow - network virtualization
            • Boot enviroments/live upgrades

Just from the top of my head...
            Dtrace has been available for FreeBSD for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
              No one is going to switch platforms for the sake of switching platforms, well other than Munich, but Germans like wasting money (;

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Dtrace has been available for FreeBSD for a while now.
                DTrace on OpenSolaris works with both kernel and userland. FreeBSD is just beginning to implement it in userland.

Comment

The first iso for OpenIndiana is available. Here is the download page.

Comment

I'm following their "upgrade" procedure ... it's hard work ...

IPS is a pile of sh*te, it's very slow even on fast machines, I don't care how clever it works ...

I've restarted the "image-update" procedure 4 times so far, and I had to uninstall thunderbird because it didn't checksum correctly.

still going though

Comment

Working...
                    X