• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGHammer
    replied
    ZFS Viability

Originally posted by devsk View Post
    BTRFS is a baby in comparison to ZFS. Let's not get started on this debate. You can search my post where I mention serious issues with btrfs (I provide links) which make it not production ready at least for a couple of years.

I am using zfs-fuse and I can't sing enough praises of ZFS. I use it on OpenSolaris as well. You have to use ZFS to really see its power.

Bringing a native Linux module for ZFS is a welcome news! Once code gets out, it will be enhanced to newer pool versions. And third party repositories will pop up in no time.

People like me, who are on Gentoo, don't have to worry about the repos anyway. We compile stuff ourselves...:-D
    Also, there is cross-pollination between Ubuntu and the rest of Debian (including Gentoo and distributions based on it, such as Sabayon). In terms of Gentoo, it would more likely show up in Sabayon first (because Sabayon is more bleeding-edge than base Gentoo, despite a far easier installation) as opposed to Gentoo, let alone core Debian. Be certain though that as long as it pans out (and it should, unless it is poorly written) it will make its way into the general Linux community unless it gets snarled in legal or philosophical turf battles.

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    Damn these folks! Got my blood pressure all high. Its nothing but the stuff that Brian worked on. Shameless copy with NO native ZFS port. ZPL is not there. All you can do is create ZVOLS.

Native ZFS for Linux. Contribute to behlendorf/zfs development by creating an account on GitHub.

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
    Apparently the Japanese distribution, Momonga, is now offering experimental native ZFS support.
    Here's the DistroWatch announcement
    Here's the release notes (translated).
    You got to be kidding me...but if its really native ZFS.

Leave a comment:

• BlueJayofEvil
    replied
    Apparently the Japanese distribution, Momonga, is now offering experimental native ZFS support.
    Here's the DistroWatch announcement
    Here's the release notes (translated).

Leave a comment:

• pedepy
    replied
    very few "vendors" will ever precompile and package applications or modules for specific distros. it's usually seen with the more mainstream ones, such as fedora or ubuntu, but it's not so common.

most distros just create packages for their repo's using the source code and having a maintainer take care of the compiling and packaging so that end users don't have to. it's no different here, it's just that whoever it is that's coded this linux port for zfs has decided to provide pre-compiled packages for these two popular distros. other distros will probably provide the same packages, only they will have to be maintained by the distro's themselves. or, as it is always possible should your distro of choice decide not to pick up the module, or if you want to it yourself, compiled and installed directly by the end user.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Is this for Linux? Or only for Fedora and Ubuntu? The article's title says "Linux", but the article itself says building from source is for Ubuntu?
    My take is that the article only describes the situation, i.e there exists only packages for Fedora and RHEL, so for every other distribution (like Ubuntu) you will have to compile the module manually.

Leave a comment:

• devsk
    replied
    BTRFS is a baby in comparison to ZFS. Let's not get started on this debate. You can search my post where I mention serious issues with btrfs (I provide links) which make it not production ready at least for a couple of years.

I am using zfs-fuse and I can't sing enough praises of ZFS. I use it on OpenSolaris as well. You have to use ZFS to really see its power.

Bringing a native Linux module for ZFS is a welcome news! Once code gets out, it will be enhanced to newer pool versions. And third party repositories will pop up in no time.

People like me, who are on Gentoo, don't have to worry about the repos anyway. We compile stuff ourselves...:-D

Leave a comment:

• tokyovigilante
    replied
    Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    are you sure ?

I'm using it here via zfs-fuse on several backup media and it's much more stable than Btrfs is right now or even Reiser4 (so far)
    I agree completely. BTRFS is currently a nice tech-demo, but there are ongoing reports of sata-loss bugs. The RAID5/6 implementation is still missing.

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Not on Linux
    are you sure ?

I'm using it here via zfs-fuse on several backup media and it's much more stable than Btrfs is right now or even Reiser4 (so far)

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    which means it will NEVER be a simple matter of "yum install zfs".
    Add a third party repository. On other distro's it could be as simple as adding a link. It could also be used as a root filesystem given that some distro's allow adding of repositories before installation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X