No announcement yet.

Oracle's OpenSolaris 2010.03 Is M.I.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle's OpenSolaris 2010.03 Is M.I.A.

Phoronix: Oracle's OpenSolaris 2010.03 Is M.I.A.

OpenSolaris 2010.03 was supposed to have been released earlier this month (in fact, originally it was supposed to be known as OpenSolaris 2010.02 and released in February, but then it slipped to early March). However, March is coming to an end and there still is no sign of OpenSolaris 2010.03. Oracle, which now owns Sun Microsystems, has also not provided us with any comment on the situation nor have they addressed the OpenSolaris community and their discussion...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really have no confidence in Oracle and feel that they are going to tarnish the (ex)Sun products to no end.

Comment

There's even a Draft release notes:

The (un)official word is that they're busy rebranding the entire OpenSolaris to Oracle Solaris Express, and the release will be aptly named "Oracle Solaris Express 2010.03". No official word however, and no commitment as to whether it will actually release in 2010.03 ;-)

Comment

Didn't I read something about them changing the release schedule to better sync up with Solaris updates?

Comment

There's supposedly some major issues with upgrading to b134 from previous builds to do with booting into X11. As a result the respin has been delayed. Tbh I would prefer that they take their time and released a product that works instead of one that is broken.

As you can see they've started rolling in lots of new features post b134 into the trunk of their repo.
          http://static.opensolaris.org/on/flagdays/131-135.html
          http://static.opensolaris.org/on/flagdays/136-140.html

Of course now it looks like Solaris 10 (and Solaris 11 when it's released later this year) are going to be paid products. they are gonna do a Redhat with them. Solaris been the paid product and OpenSolaris distro been their equivalent to Fedora.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-sour...s-858?page=0,0

Comment

Originally posted by Dubhthach View Post
            There's supposedly some major issues with upgrading to b134 from previous builds to do with booting into X11. As a result the respin has been delayed. Tbh I would prefer that they take their time and released a product that works instead of one that is broken.
            I second that. Honestly, why rush a release out the door if it is going to be infested with bugs? If it needs to bleed over into April, then so be it. Given the recent mess with the Oracle acquisition, delays are to be expected, but, given enough time, this should all get ironed out and we will all be happy campers again. Am I right or am I right?

Guru

Comment

You are right.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                You are right.
                Thank you.

Guru

Comment

Originally posted by Dubhthach View Post
                  Of course now it looks like Solaris 10 (and Solaris 11 when it's released later this year) are going to be paid products. they are gonna do a Redhat with them. Solaris been the paid product and OpenSolaris distro been their equivalent to Fedora.
                  Wasn't that always the plan though, even before the Oracle takeover?

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                    Wasn't that always the plan though, even before the Oracle takeover?
                    Well you could buy support for OpenSolaris distro yes. However Solaris 10 and it's updates were free. You registered yeah but you didn't pay for the updates or the initial Solaris 10 license. Now with changes that Oracle have brought in you will have to. As mentioned it's basically the RedHat model.

Comment

Working...
                    X