Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korona Brings KDE 4.3 To OpenSolaris

Phoronix: Korona Brings KDE 4.3 To OpenSolaris

While Sun Microsystems puts their weight behind the GNOME desktop environment for Solaris and OpenSolaris, there are developers that do work on providing a quality experience for KDE on OpenSolaris. However, getting KDE to run on a clean OpenSolaris installation can require building KDE from source and taking various other steps. Fortunately, for KDE fans, there is now the Korona distribution, which brings KDE 4.3 as the default desktop environment to an OpenSolaris stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, it looks butt-ugly. I suppose the widget styles (Oxygen, etc) won't work yet?

Comment

That's great idea, KDE is crash Titanic that's for sure but on Solaris can run hardcore stable or maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by filip007 View Post
        That's great idea, KDE is crash Titanic that's for sure but on Solaris can run hardcore stable or maybe not
        I think people should really stop with this "kde crash" bullshit. Maybe you are referring to kde4, but kde 4.3 is stable considering it's age. Don't forget both kde3 and gnome 2 are very very very old so it would be crazy to pretend that kde4 is stable like them.... oh, and I hope you weren't talking about kde3..

Comment

I had with Kubuntu live cd crash very soon on my laptop with 9600mGT so i don't use KDE it looks like Vista not thanks.

Comment

All this duplication of effort is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by filip007 View Post
              I had with Kubuntu live cd crash very soon on my laptop with 9600mGT so i don't use KDE it looks like Vista not thanks.
              Lol it has got nothing to do with Vista UI... I wonder where you see they look the same... oh well... be happy with your Mono apps then.

Comment

What a MESS with font rendering, they look like shit:

When KDE developers will learn this?

This is how it SHOULD look like:

@filip007

Some people call KDE4 "Open Source Vista"

Comment

@filip007: kde4.3 is very stable, and your complaint about looking like vista is out of date. Nowadays, it's all the rage to say KDE is a copy of Windows 7, not Vista... Not that they really look anything alike in my opinion.

However, the Solaris port of KDE is still very experimental, so i would expect plenty of crashes and missing functionality from this distro.

@vermaden: dear god that's an ugly font (title bars/task bar font, i mean). KDE developers have absolutely no control over what fonts a distro decides to use, by the way.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 18 August 2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Another flame thread due to Gnome-trolls.

Comment

Working...
                    X