Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Well it looks like the MySQL devs are fleeing a sinking ship and forking because of the Oracle acquisition.
    Tonight at 4:30 AM, USA Pacific time, my phone started to ring; it was a call from a Sun employee saying that Oracle has bought Sun and he w...

Leave a comment:

• RobbieAB
    replied
    It does line up an interesting Small Business Server product, a market IBM don't seem interested in. Solaris/Apache+Tomcat/OracleSQL should make a compelling competitor to Windows/IIS/MS-SQL, given the reputation of the various products. Afterall, it does take one of the most revered server OSes and match it with one of the most revered RDBMS SQL engines, and wraps it up nicely with the most commodity of the server side application engines.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    IBM got lucky not to buy Sun. Usually those huge companies are overpriced. When you look at AMD then they never got back on track after buying ATI. That's only for burning money. Joining efforts would not require to buy a company.
    I was thinking something like that may be a possibility too. IBM may have very well been suckering Oracle into buying them. It's great timing to force the competitions hand into making a heavy investment.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    IBM got lucky not to buy Sun. Usually those huge companies are overpriced. When you look at AMD then they never got back on track after buying ATI. That's only for burning money. Joining efforts would not require to buy a company.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
    Earlier I asked if IBM would have Sun continue to support openoffice & got good news. What'll happen with it now?
    I suppose it will be given to community.

Btw. here's interesting article:

Leave a comment:

• alazyworkaholic
    replied
    & openoffice?

Earlier I asked if IBM would have Sun continue to support openoffice & got good news. What'll happen with it now?

Leave a comment:

• sreyan
    replied
    Not sure if this bodes well for java or zfs actually becoming more open.

Leave a comment:

• joffe
    replied
    Oracle is a btrfs supporter.

Going by their statements today they're gonna be pushing for Solaris (I am happy, more happy than if IBM had bought them anyway..), perhaps their Red Hat/btrfs dabblings will come to an end?

Now one just has to sit and wait to see what will happen to Solaris.. No more OpenSolaris? Forking of Solaris code to a proprietary project? Or just business as usual?

Leave a comment:

• jadrevenge
    replied
    Oracle have bought SUN!

Leave a comment:

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    The only thing I want to say here is that, of these two architectures, PowerPC is far more open than Sparc.
    Historically, that's been true. I'd argue that the situation changed a bit when Sun released the OpenSPARC T1 source.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X