IBM Buying Sun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
    But it is easier to change the license to GPL (if IBM buys SUN) than write the whole Btrfs File System!
    BTRFS should be ready to use this year and you've got to port ZFS to Linux. GPL'ing it won't magically make it working.

Comment

well since sun stocks are down 25%, if I was IBM i'd go back in and buy them now!

Seems perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
        well since sun stocks are down 25%, if I was IBM i'd go back in and buy them now!

Seems perfect!
        Heh, better then a scratch for discount card.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          I can imagine IBM positioning SPARC as the "open source" CPU option with a broader range of consulting/customization services for smaller customers while keeping PowerPC around for bigger customers... maybe wishful thinking, but it will be interesting to see what happens in any case.
          The only thing I want to say here is that, of these two architectures, PowerPC is far more open than Sparc. PPC has been customized for dozens, maybe hundreds of unique loads. Sparc has not. IBM uses it's Fishkill FAB to manufacture custom PPC chips for many different companies. Sparc doesnt come any were near PPC's level of variety. Also as an advanced architecture PPC has a much brighter future then Sparc.

Personally I would absolutely love to see PPC replace x86 as the desktop chip of choice

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            The only thing I want to say here is that, of these two architectures, PowerPC is far more open than Sparc.
            Historically, that's been true. I'd argue that the situation changed a bit when Sun released the OpenSPARC T1 source.

Comment

Oracle have bought SUN!

Comment

Oracle is a btrfs supporter.

Going by their statements today they're gonna be pushing for Solaris (I am happy, more happy than if IBM had bought them anyway..), perhaps their Red Hat/btrfs dabblings will come to an end?

Now one just has to sit and wait to see what will happen to Solaris.. No more OpenSolaris? Forking of Solaris code to a proprietary project? Or just business as usual?

Comment

Not sure if this bodes well for java or zfs actually becoming more open.

Comment

& openoffice?

Earlier I asked if IBM would have Sun continue to support openoffice & got good news. What'll happen with it now?

Comment

Originally posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
                      Earlier I asked if IBM would have Sun continue to support openoffice & got good news. What'll happen with it now?
                      I suppose it will be given to community.

Btw. here's interesting article:

Comment

Working...
                      X