X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by joffe View Post
    My only vision of IBM buying them consists of IBM forking future development of all the interesting Solaris bits (ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, etc etc) into AIX under their proprietary license and leaving the current versions to rot. Oh, and cancelling Rock and kicking all the architects to the street.
    IBM is great contributor to Linux kernel, so I hope they will just release ZFS and DTrace under GPL (rest is not so interesting). Btw. BTRFS and Linux performance counters are coming so ZFS is becoming much less interesting too...

Leave a comment:

• jadrevenge
    replied
    I'm not sure, but then I'm an Optimist and always have been.

I still reckon some of the R&D in Rock could be used, even if Rock is dead. Assuming that IBM will keep PowerPC.

I'd like to think they'll still support Solaris (It'd be difficult to stop OpenSolaris now) I'm not sure if they have the ability to re license all the technology in OpenSolaris, but the Sun license isn't incompatible with AIX ...

Leave a comment:

• joffe
    replied
    My only vision of IBM buying them consists of IBM forking future development of all the interesting Solaris bits (ZFS, DTrace, Crossbow, etc etc) into AIX under their proprietary license and leaving the current versions to rot. Oh, and cancelling Rock and kicking all the architects to the street.

Leave a comment:

• jadrevenge
    replied
    or HP ... "HP Invent"? (Unless you happen to work from them in design, then you find out that you don't have a job because HP no longer do R&D)

IBM was gonna be a sound owner to ride out the recession ... Even though I'd prefer an independent Sun (which aint gonna happen under the Shwartzeneger!)

Leave a comment:

• joffe
    replied
    Oh well.

At least it isn't Apple trying to snatch them.

Leave a comment:

• jadrevenge
    replied
    It's a good job this isn't eBay, otherwise you can get negative feedback for that

Leave a comment:

• lordmozilla
    replied
    I got told that ibm retracted their bid, but that it would probably be back.

Leave a comment:

• jadrevenge
    replied

And from the guy in my office who still owns Sun shares, the shareholders have said they want more money, and IBM have told them to get stuffed ...

So this is off.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
    Heh, inquirer articles should always have a * on the quote saying

* story may be full of bullshit if originating from inquirers "reliable sources"
    However with the NYT breaking the news there is more then likely some credibility to it.

Back on topic, I can see IBM killing solaris and GPL'ing it's worthwhile assets (zfs, dtrace, etc).

Leave a comment:

• lordmozilla
    replied
    looks like this could be likely :

Leave a comment:

Working...
X