X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Cyber
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    The only thing I want to say here is that, of these two architectures, PowerPC is far more open than Sparc.
    Historically, that's been true. I'd argue that the situation changed a bit when Sun released the OpenSPARC T1 source.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I can imagine IBM positioning SPARC as the "open source" CPU option with a broader range of consulting/customization services for smaller customers while keeping PowerPC around for bigger customers... maybe wishful thinking, but it will be interesting to see what happens in any case.
    The only thing I want to say here is that, of these two architectures, PowerPC is far more open than Sparc. PPC has been customized for dozens, maybe hundreds of unique loads. Sparc has not. IBM uses it's Fishkill FAB to manufacture custom PPC chips for many different companies. Sparc doesnt come any were near PPC's level of variety. Also as an advanced architecture PPC has a much brighter future then Sparc.

Personally I would absolutely love to see PPC replace x86 as the desktop chip of choice

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
    well since sun stocks are down 25%, if I was IBM i'd go back in and buy them now!

Seems perfect!
    Heh, better then a scratch for discount card.

Leave a comment:

• lordmozilla
    replied
    well since sun stocks are down 25%, if I was IBM i'd go back in and buy them now!

Seems perfect!

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by KDesk View Post
    But it is easier to change the license to GPL (if IBM buys SUN) than write the whole Btrfs File System!
    BTRFS should be ready to use this year and you've got to port ZFS to Linux. GPL'ing it won't magically make it working.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Heh, noticed today that Sun stocks are down ~25% since walking away. Nothing like throwing away a quarter of your value.

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Not exactly Linux doesn't have native ZFS support :>
    But it is easier to change the license to GPL (if IBM buys SUN) than write the whole Btrfs File System!

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    BTRFS. ZFS.
    Coming. Working.
    Not here. Here.

For something with requirements as bulletproof as a filesystem, this is really a huge chasm of difference... :/
    Not exactly Linux doesn't have native ZFS support :>

Someone mentioned Apple. Now that would be something... Just imagine Sparc Macs touting ZFS.
    Do macs even support sparcs?

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Someone mentioned Apple. Now that would be something... Just imagine Sparc Macs touting ZFS.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    BTRFS and Linux performance counters are coming so ZFS is becoming much less interesting too...
    BTRFS. ZFS.
    Coming. Working.
    Not here. Here.

For something with requirements as bulletproof as a filesystem, this is really a huge chasm of difference... :/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X