Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU30 Is The Biggest Update We've Seen In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Who still uses this? I shudder when I have to log into a solaris box, then usually frantically google for what the equivalent of top is etc
    On solaris equivalent of top is .. top.
    Last edited by kloczek; 22 February 2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      Can it be downloaded and installed on the 'normal' hardware?
      Yes ir can be.

Comment

Who still uses this? I shudder when I have to log into a solaris box, then usually frantically google for what the equivalent of top is etc
        Usually everyone who needs something what Linux haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post

On solaris equivalent of top is .. top.
          No it's prstat - I've just googled it again

Comment

Can be both. top can be installed or depends on it's age I believe. The thing about Solaris is it has very good tools to identify performance problems.

Comment

top is in distribution as well. IIRC top is part even of the minimal installation.
              prstat is IMO bettere (especially on agregatin processes asross zones/projects/users/groups but that is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post

top is in distribution as well. IIRC top is part even of the minimal installation.
                prstat is IMO bettere (especially on agregatin processes asross zones/projects/users/groups but that is another story.
                Well it's not on any of the solaris boxed I've had to log into over the years

Comment

this operating system that was once exciting during the Sun Microsystems days
                  Umm, nope... I used Solaris during Sun Microsystems' days and was very unimpressed with it. Even in the old days, Linux was far and away ahead of Solaris in terms of usability in my opinion. A base Solaris install had nothing but a crap C compiler that was only useful for bootstrapping a proper gcc compiler. Which you needed right away so you could finally compile all the normal tools you needed to make the machine usable. Whereas Linux usually came with gcc out of the box, and you rarely had to compile anything other than your own software or if you just wanted to run the bleeding edge latest of something.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                    I swear that the best feature of Solaris is whatever the heck they do to the fan speed. Every time I use Solaris, the fan hum is amazing. Even when I ran Open Solaris on my ancient laptop, it sounded like a super computer's cooling system.
                    Are you being sarcastic here, or is there something genuinely neat about Solaris's fan speed? What's so good about it? I never noticed anything special about their fan speed back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                      Are you being sarcastic here, or is there something genuinely neat about Solaris's fan speed? What's so good about it? I never noticed anything special about their fan speed back in the day.
                      Aren't fan speeds controlled by system firmware these days? Nothing much to do with OS itself?

Comment

Working...
                      X