OpenIndiana 2020.10 Released For Continuing Where OpenSolaris Left Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana 2020.10 Released For Continuing Where OpenSolaris Left Off

Phoronix: OpenIndiana 2020.10 Released For Continuing Where OpenSolaris Left Off

September marked a decade since the OpenIndiana project was announced for continuing on with the OpenSolaris code-base (and ultimately based on Illumos) in being born out of the justified and proven accurate concerns when Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems. OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10 was released this weekend as the newest version of this open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They provide Mate and not Gnome 3? I don't want to dredge up this argument but it is actually interesting to see OpenIndiana break compatibility with Solaris 11.3+ in such a big way.

It could be a lack of man-power to maintain Gnome 3 but it also means that UI related software written for Solaris 11.3 is less guaranteed to run due to library version conflicts etc.
    If we look at RHEL6, that was tricky to get a recent build of Chrome and Firefox on it due to the Gtk+3 version conflicts with the established Gtk+2 userland.

Comment

kpedersen's post made me wonder what DE Solaris 11.3 uses but dammit for y'all I stumbled across their fun facts:

50+ customers and 3000+ applications, more than a 3:1 dev build to customer ratio, and they used a lot of electricity to get to that point. That's ROFL funny right there.

3000 seems like a lot, but it's like 1/3 or 1/4 the number of packages that most Linux distributions offer. Those facts are fun for me, not so much for them.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Those facts are fun for me, not so much for them.
        Why belittle their efforts?
        I think it's a great thing that they keep chugging away at diversity.
        I don't mind their lagging one bit.

Comment

kpedersen's post made me wonder what DE Solaris 11.3 uses but dammit for y'all I stumbled across their fun facts:

50+ customers and 3000+ applications, more than a 3:1 dev build to customer ratio, and they used a lot of electricity to get to that point. That's ROFL funny right there.

3000 seems like a lot, but it's like 1/3 or 1/4 the number of packages that most Linux distributions offer. Those facts are fun for me, not so much for them.
          Yep. You know notjing about Solaris ecosystem.
          Single Morgan Stanley has more than 100k physical systems working under Solaris (without zones) and this is not biggest Oracle custommer.
          Most of those systems are working on x86 HW.

Comment

We've still got a few things running on Solaris in bare metal in the data centre. Can't wait to get stuff moved so something a little more modern

Comment

3000 seems like a lot, but it's like 1/3 or 1/4 the number of packages that most Linux distributions offer.
              Those are *certified* packages. More akin to those in the "base" RHEL repo which probably has similar number?

If you want uncertified 3rd party ones then there is:
              ttps://www.opencsw.org/

Both of these are actually fairly good. There used to be the SFW (Sun Freeware) repo and compilation CDs but obviously the Solaris community has been somewhat... reduced since Oracle started driving the bus.

Comment

illumos is the kernel, OpenIndiana is the Desktop. Source: https://www.openindiana.org/document...ed-openindiana

OpenIndiana Hipster’s transition from Sun Studio to GCC has resulted in a discontinuance of ABI (binary) compatibility with previous releases of OpenIndiana, Oracle Solaris, and OpenSolaris. Applications coded in the C languhttps://www.oracle.com/solaris/solaris11/downloads/solaris-downloads.htmlage should continue to work normally. Therefore, this change only affects applications written in the C++ language.
                Oracle Solaris is available for use on 3rd party hardware, for free (for development purposes) without support. Sources: https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/tec...hcl/index.html and https://www.oracle.com/solaris/solar...downloads.html

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Why belittle their efforts?
                  I think it's a great thing that they keep chugging away at diversity.
                  I don't mind their lagging one bit.
                  Indeed, userbase of Phoronix seems increasingly STUPID and self-centered. It's a fucking free opensource and should be either cheered as such or given peace at minimum but always some bunch comes and starts yawing away at it belittling it. Grow the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Indeed, userbase of Phoronix seems increasingly STUPID and self-centered. It's a fucking free opensource and should be either cheered as such or given peace at minimum but always some bunch comes and starts yawing away at it belittling it. Grow the fuck up.
                    You do realize skeevy420 was talking about Oracle Solaris 11.4, which is emphatically not an open source project, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X