Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox 6.1.14 Adds Linux 5.8 Kernel Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    However I don't think I'd be much use because I spend about two thirds of my life in a state of extreme anxiety, and much of that time I literally have to lie in bed.
    Check out this "must read" book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eeps-the-score
    And look into IFS therapy and other things mentioned in the above: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ystems-therapy
    Using this audio book you can get a feel of what's it about on your own, without a therapist: https://www.amazon.com/Greater-Than-...dp/B07D4NN3VN/
    And since you do not mention the cause of your troubles, it most likely originates in childhood. So books such as this one might be of use: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mature-parents
    "Extreme anxiety" is likely a symptom of what's called CPTSD, so this "bible" on CPTSD might be useful also: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...3-complex-ptsd
    Last edited by mastermind; 09-05-2020, 12:16 PM.

    Comment


    • #12
      Maybe this will fix the regular crashing that I've experienced when using "right click" of the mouse to copy text inside a VM? So annoying.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by mastermind View Post
        Check out this "must read" book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eeps-the-score
        And look into IFS therapy and other things mentioned in the above: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ystems-therapy
        Using this audio book you can get a feel of what's it about on your own, without a therapist: https://www.amazon.com/Greater-Than-...dp/B07D4NN3VN/
        And since you do not mention the cause of your troubles, it most likely originates in childhood. So books such as this one might be of use: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mature-parents
        "Extreme anxiety" is likely a symptom of what's called CPTSD, so this "bible" on CPTSD might be useful also: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...3-complex-ptsd
        Thank you for all the information mastermind , and your compassion. I'm pretty old and have tried just about everything from meds to counseling to hypnotism and even acupuncture, but I've never heard of these books so I'll definitely check them out.

        "Compassion is humanity's most common request."
        SearingTruth

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by muncrief View Post

          Thank you for all the information mastermind , and your compassion. I'm pretty old and have tried just about everything from meds to counseling to hypnotism and even acupuncture, but I've never heard of these books so I'll definitely check them out.

          "Compassion is humanity's most common request."
          SearingTruth
          I'm happy to help. Do not despair, this stuff is fixable but might not be easy, it requires time and work, as you essentially need to "rewire" a lot of neural pathways, many of which were most likely formed during childhood. There is a lot of recent research in neuroscience, psychology and trauma which gives a new hope to those who suffer from severe psychological conditions.
          Check out this recent article which covers some of the breakthroughs in this area: https://elemental.medium.com/inside-...r-8be035d54770
          Unfortunately most kinds of mainstream psychotherapy/counselling can make this stuff worse (or give a sense that you have no hope of recovering), since most psychology students who become therapists are taught "cognitive behavioral therapy" (CBT) or the like, which is from the point of of view of neuroscience roughly something like forming new neural networks in your brain to deal with existing ones (produced by psychological trauma), while e.g. IFS on the other hand is about unburdening and integrating the traumatized and isolated neural networks. The CBT approach kind of works for milder conditions but for severe ones not really, you sort of run out of resources since you do not deal with the core of the problem but rather try to "cure" the symptoms. Plus the psychotherapy "industry" itself is in a way corrupt to the core, so it is not easy to find a good therapist. (with IFS though it is much easier in my opinion since the approach itself kind of guarantees the kind of therapist you will get, it is kind of a filter) E.g. Alice Miller and Faye Snyder wrote on this extensively for decades:
          - https://www.amazon.com/Drama-Gifted-...dp/B00D0UWFP0/
          - http://www.drfayesnyder.com/shop/

          Comment


          • #15
            Finally.

            Comment


            • #16
              I've been stuck on the same Linux fedora 31 kernel since ~April, using a Mac host. Hoping to finally upgrade. Everytime I try, fedora is super slow to respond to keyboard/mouse, start processes, etc.

              Comment


              • #17
                Thanks. I checked out that github repository maybe one hour before the pull request and even read the discussion in issue #70. Should have double checked.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Thanks for this!

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by dbont View Post
                    I've been stuck on the same Linux fedora 31 kernel since ~April, using a Mac host. Hoping to finally upgrade. Everytime I try, fedora is super slow to respond to keyboard/mouse, start processes, etc.
                    your host is slow, not the guest

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

                      your host is slow, not the guest
                      Yes. You're correct that my host is slow, but it is usably slow, and is my only option to use Linux at work. However, if I upgrade the kernel guest past the April release, the guest is not usable.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X