Oracle Linux 7 U9 Beta Bringing Updated Drivers, Wayland Tech Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux 7 U9 Beta Bringing Updated Drivers, Wayland Tech Preview

Phoronix: Oracle Linux 7 U9 Beta Bringing Updated Drivers, Wayland Tech Preview

Along with Solaris 11.4 SRU24, another operating system update out this week from Oracle is the beta of their forthcoming RHEL7-based Oracle Linux 7 Update 9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've never seen Oracle linux in the field, except a handful of fringe cases where everything in the business was handed over for Oracle to disect.

Anyone here using it?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      Anyone here using it?
      I don't use it, but I believe most of Apple's infrastructure runs on Oracle Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        I've never seen Oracle linux in the field, except a handful of fringe cases where everything in the business was handed over for Oracle to disect.

Anyone here using it?
        Some of our customers do... I think it's quite popular with those using Oracle database, due to licensing and support deals. But if you're not using Oracle DB, there's really not much reason to be using their Linux distro either...

Comment

We use to use it (at least indirectly). For a while we used Oracle's VM Server (Similar to VMware ESX) which used OL underneath.

I didn't do much with it but couldn't really fault it. In fact I much prefer Oracle's Public Yum repo (https://yum.oracle.com/) to both RHEL and Centos.

I believe the nvidia blob dkms (from RPM fusion) had issues building because it defaults to the vanilla kernel rather than UEK. That was a long time ago however.

Comment

Working...
          X