No announcement yet.

Oracle Talks Up Btrfs Rather Than ZFS For Their Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Talks Up Btrfs Rather Than ZFS For Their Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6

Phoronix: Oracle Talks Up Btrfs Rather Than ZFS For Their Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6

While Red Hat Enterprise Linux deprecated Btrfs and no longer supports it on RHEL8, Oracle does continue supporting this Linux file-system on their RHEL-based Oracle Linux when using the company's "Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel" alternative to their Red Hat Compatible Kernel. An Oracle engineer put out a lengthy post outlining the highlights of Btrfs in their new Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to see that Btrfs is hanging in there

Comment

Considering they have spent 75 billion on stock buybacks they probably don't even have enough money for good ZFS implementation and testing.

Comment

Heh, I remember many Linux guys justifying Btrfs over ZFS, just because Linux didn't have access to a ZFS implementation at the time (compared to i.e FreeBSD, Solaris it seems Linux was lagging behind).

As soon as ZFS gets ported, they mostly throw away Btrfs (and all the developer efforts). A bit sad really. I suppose progress is often wasteful.

Comment

My bet is for Stratis

Comment

Then comes a 3rd company and invents the 147th file system that works the exact same way. That's how the linux ecosystem works.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
              My bet is for Stratis
              Stratis does not seem to be a filesystem at all, but yet another tool ontop of lvm and xfs...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                As soon as ZFS gets ported, they mostly throw away Btrfs (and all the developer efforts). A bit sad really. I suppose progress is often wasteful.
                What's more sad is that as soon as ZFS got ported to Linux, even FreeBSD adopted it in favor of their own port.

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post

What's more sad is that as soon as ZFS got ported to Linux, even FreeBSD adopted it in favor of their own port.
                  The OpenZFS developers were mostly Solaris / FreeBSD developers anyway (I don't think the Linux world had the required skillset). So I suppose implementing it a second time meant that they could try out a more portable architecture instead of the initial port from OpenSolaris. Unlike Linux developers, portability is fairly high on a UNIX developers priorities.

I think it is good for Linux that FreeBSD adopted it. Sometimes Linux kind of goes towards the consumer desktop space (where it looks like it will never win). It will be good for other operating systems on that project to keep it in check and focused on servers.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 21 May 2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

Stratis does not seem to be a filesystem at all, but yet another tool ontop of lvm and xfs...
                    Yes, I know. But it promises (in near future) to have the same features than ZFS/Btrfs have

Comment

Working...
                    X