Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oracle Punts Its Twentieth Update To Solaris 11.4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oracle Punts Its Twentieth Update To Solaris 11.4

    Phoronix: Oracle Punts Its Twentieth Update To Solaris 11.4

    With no sign of Solaris.Next either as Solaris 11.5 or Solaris 12, nor is it really expected to happen following Oracle's actions in recent years from layoffs to dismissing Solaris 12 when it was on their road-map at one point for 2017, Solaris 11.4 continues just being SRU'ed...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ris-11.4-SRU20

  • #2
    I feel deeply sorry for anyone who needs Oracle's undead Slowlaris because of commercial support.

    Comment


    • #3
      With no sign of Solaris.Next either as Solaris 11.5 or Solaris 12
      While the licenses can be changed again(*), sticking with 11.4 and SRUs is likely the best way for Oracle to continue to monetize Solaris.


      (*) Currently you can freely download the latest "point" release, but you cannot download the updates/patches/fixes that the SRUs make available unless you have a support contract.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        I feel deeply sorry for anyone who needs Oracle's undead Slowlaris because of commercial support.
        Don't be. Solaris hasn't changed in years which means we need to spend less time fixing things and more time on the projects that we care about. Solaris is a tool. Not a lifestyle

        That said, the Oracle hardware is really interesting so that makes up for any operating system, even if I had to run DOS!
        Last edited by kpedersen; 04-15-2020, 02:06 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

          Don't be. Solaris hasn't changed in years which means we need to spend less time fixing things and more time on the projects that we care about. Solaris is a tool. Not a lifestyle

          That said, the Oracle hardware is really interesting so that makes up for any operating system, even if I had to run DOS!
          Oh cool, didn't remember there were Oracle astroturfers here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            With no sign of Solaris.Next either as Solaris 11.5 or Solaris 12, [...] Solaris 11.4 continues just being SRU'ed...
            So, who cares? If anything has taught us, it is that version numbers do not mean a thing. firefox 70, systemd 249, perl-Tk 804, acpica 20180105... whether you call it Solaris 11.4SRU20 or 11.5 or 12, it's still just an identifier like all those other cases, and as long as it is unique and (very much preferably) strictly monotonically increasing, who is to say what it should be but the men in charge.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by angrypie View Post

              Oh cool, didn't remember there were Oracle astroturfers here.
              Haha. If I was, I would have come to the wrong place. I don't think Oracle's kind of hardware would impress the average Linux gamer

              Wine doesn't work on SPARC after all.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Wine doesn't work on SPARC after all.
                Wine could. Theoretically. Your far bigger problem is that there simply aren't any programs available that you could run, as Microsoft never targeted $arch (for certain values of $arch), and so no OEMs made any binaries for it. Remember, WINE stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator. It does not magically make x86_64 programs run anywhere.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
                  It does not magically make x86_64 programs run anywhere.
                  I don't know. It generally isn't impossible to create a Zone jail with qemu-static-x86 userland emulation and the correct binary image activator (this runs much faster than you may think).

                  You can read about the Linux equivalent here if you are interested: https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation

                  The difficulty is getting Wine to compile on a non Lintel machine. Some work has been done but we certainly are not dealing with portable software anywhere. The main place I have seen this work well is on the Raspberry Pi (exadesktop) Wine + qemu-static.

                  Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
                  Wine could. Theoretically. Your far bigger problem is that there simply aren't any programs available that you could run, as Microsoft never targeted $arch (for certain values of $arch), and so no OEMs made any binaries for it..
                  I have also yet to see a compiler for Win PE executables but the SPARC arch. Either way this won't matter with the qemu userland emulation. But like I said, this architecture is not really the target for most phoronix members because of this.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 04-16-2020, 04:59 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X