No announcement yet.

Oracle Ships Solaris 11.4 SRU18 - Finally Mitigates The SWAPGS Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Ships Solaris 11.4 SRU18 - Finally Mitigates The SWAPGS Vulnerability

Phoronix: Oracle Ships Solaris 11.4 SRU18 - Finally Mitigates The SWAPGS Vulnerability

Oracle today has released Solaris 11.4 SRU18 as the newest version of the long-running Solaris 11.4 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what the performance loss is.

Oh, wait. Not allowed to test that.

Comment

Oracle is such a weird company changing OpenSolaris to Solaris and stopped making it available as open source. That makes absolutely no business sense at all, and it just made Solaris much less attractive. They don't seem interested in investing in it either, so its just something which seems deprecated that they keep, I guess for existing customers.

Weird company, weird business decisions. I think they should just go back to having Solaris be open source again and/or shut it down and push for migration to Oracle Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
        I wonder what the performance loss is.

Oh, wait. Not allowed to test that.
        Slowlaris

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Oracle is such a weird company changing OpenSolaris to Solaris and stopped making it available as open source. That makes absolutely no business sense at all
          They make a ton of cash by not investing anything and raising prices on old customers that are vendor-locked and can't jump ship.

Oracle has a lot of experience in doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Slowlaris
            "retribution" against whom, this time? Solaris devs managed to "insult" systemd somehow? honestly curious here.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              "retribution" against whom, this time? Solaris devs managed to "insult" systemd somehow? honestly curious here.
              Stop living in the past.

You need to understand that Solaris is a wholly proprietary product of Oracle since a decade or so. Also need to understand that "Solaris devs" don't exist anymore (also for a long time). There is a skeleton crew at best, it's on life support only, no development has taken place since a long time. Most former "solaris devs" have a different job now as they were fired.

It happens to be that Oracle decided to ban any benchmarking of their wholly proprietary product Solaris, which very heavily hints at the fact that it IS slow and they KNOW it.

Therefore, "Slowlaris" statement applies, and being Solaris a wholly proprietary product of Oracle, that's an offence towards Oracle, and anyone reacting to that is in fact defending Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Stop living in the past.

You need to understand that Solaris is a wholly proprietary product of Oracle since a decade or so. Also need to understand that "Solaris devs" don't exist anymore (also for a long time). There is a skeleton crew at best, it's on life support only, no development has taken place since a long time. Most former "solaris devs" have a different job now as they were fired.

It happens to be that Oracle decided to ban any benchmarking of their wholly proprietary product Solaris, which very heavily hints at the fact that it IS slow and they KNOW it.

Therefore, "Slowlaris" statement applies, and being Solaris a wholly proprietary product of Oracle, that's an offence towards Oracle, and anyone reacting to that is in fact defending Oracle.
                Teach your grandmother to suck balls. And take your own advice, stop living in the past. Thus my "retribution"-comment. You are always so butthurt when someone dares criticize systemd even in the slightest and first man to throw shit in BSD threads recently (where you once said it's "retribution for BSD-user's past deeds"). So, "stop living in the past". will ya.

wholly proprietary product blablabla.. you have that same shit produced over Illumos distros, so it's pathetic excuse. Man up. Like kindergarden with your silly hatreds.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                  Teach your grandmother to suck balls.
                  Long since dead. I'm not a child since many decades

And take your own advice, stop living in the past.
                  I'm not sure you understood the meaning, as I'm not seeing how it applies to this situation.

You are always so butthurt when someone dares criticize systemd even in the slightest
                  Not true, I usually react when someone posts complete bs, and systemd threads usually get people posting complete bs. I leave alone people posting normal criticism or fair disagreement with something.

and first man to throw shit in BSD threads recently (where you once said it's "retribution for BSD-user's past deeds").
                  Oh you mean this comment? https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...21#post1160321

That's what you get for being a child, adults step down and beat you with their superior experience at "being a child".

Do you dare say you and others that claim to be using BSD aren't the first to post the same insane bullshit that is just blatantly false over and over and over in systemd threads? Compared to that, the little "but it does not have systemd even if it ends with d" joke is some innocent lighthearted fun, maybe offtopic, but it's not shitting on NetBSD.

you have that same shit produced over Illumos distros, so it's pathetic excuse.
                  Not really. I don't shit on illumos distros, I just point out issues, like with all my more serious posts.

Comment

Working...
                  X