OpenIndiana Hipster 2019.10 Released For Advancing Open-Source Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana Hipster 2019.10 Released For Advancing Open-Source Solaris

Phoronix: OpenIndiana Hipster 2019.10 Released For Advancing Open-Source Solaris

Approaching ten years old, OpenIndiana is still kicking as one of the few platforms derived from the former OpenSolaris (now "Illumos") code-base as a Linux/BSD alternative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is strength in diversity, but what's the elevator pitch for this? (I thought BSD/Linux absorbed a lot of the good stuff from Solaris)
    I see the point of seL4, and Redox but don't remember one for OpenIndiana.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      There is strength in diversity, but what's the elevator pitch for this? (I thought BSD/Linux absorbed a lot of the good stuff from Solaris)
      I see the point of seL4, and Redox but don't remember one for OpenIndiana.
      If Linux, BSD, seL4 and Redox all drop the ball, then OpenIndiana can pick up the slack

In the crooked world of 2019 computing, anything can happen; more projects safeguard ourselves from stupid choices made upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

If Linux, BSD, seL4 and Redox all drop the ball, then OpenIndiana can pick up the slack

In the crooked world of 2019 computing, anything can happen; more projects safeguard ourselves from stupid choices made upstream.
        You know, I never really considered it like that -- as a form of open source redundancy.

Comment

If Linux and BSD die it's all back to Windows, everything else stays "hobby OS".

Comment

I tried out this release of OpenIndiana last night and today. It took a few tries for the text installer to actually not crash during copying, but it finally 'took' last night. I promptly did an update and OI is running, albeit poorly.

I'm using a stock very common five-year-old Intel-based HP tower and OI just isn't too happy on it. Audio doesn't work (tons of audio failure messages on boot), clicking the 'Lock screen' button or menu item does nothing (EDIT: It does work after some fiddling). The whole system pauses every ten to fifteen seconds, and so on. I'd be happy to stay on it and help the devs track down issues, but I need, at least, sound working so I can listen to music, hear customer IMs come in, etc. I don't think they will be able to fix that quickly.

OI just doesn't have a great track record with me. I've tried it a few times before, and while it eventually worked on one AMD motherboard I had ages ago, I need it to work on this computer. Oh well, I guess I'll give it some more time...
            Last edited by willbprog177; 08 November 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

On a technical level it's probably the best free OS we have.. It just doesn't have the popularity. If ppl knew they'd probably ditch Linux and FreeBSD in favour of it.

It can.. pretty much.. run Linux in a container anyhow.. (and makes linux "containers" look like joke)
              Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                On a technical level it's probably the best free OS we have.. It just doesn't have the popularity.
                And the hardware support, and the software support.

If ppl knew they'd probably ditch Linux and FreeBSD in favour of it.
                Shh, don't tell them that there is a distro that is theoretically better but runs like shit on random modern hardware.

It can.. pretty much.. run Linux in a container anyhow..
                Everything can run Linux in a container, even Windows.

(and makes linux "containers" look like joke)
                Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  And the hardware support, and the software support.

Shh, don't tell them that there is a distro that is theoretically better but runs like shit on random modern hardware.

Everything can run Linux in a container, even Windows.

Not really.
                  A. You don't appear to know what I'm talking about.
                  B. Please don't quote me, I have nothing to say to you.

It isn't desktop Linux. (something nobody cares about) It runs on the hardware your company bought to run it on.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 09 November 2019, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    It runs on the hardware your company bought to run it on.
                    What hardware?

There is at most some horribly outdated list from Illumos here https://illumos.org/hcl/ and some very limited community-generated list in the wiki

that was compiled by community members by booting the liveCD and run their driver detection utility. Yeah that's great confidence for a businness that is going to run some core services to use mostly consumer hardware that was "tested" and "validated" by a random community member in a few minutes.

FreeBSD on the other hand has a decent list of commercial vendors that sell "certified hardware" (certified by themselves but it's good enough) and provide paid commercial support https://www.freebsd.org/commercial/

This isn't Solaris, stop thinking it is anything more than a hobby OS. None uses OpenIndiana on serious hardware. Serious businness users are still using Solaris or have migrated to something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X