Rewriting Old Solaris C Code In Python Yielded A 17x Performance Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

In case of tight loops it might be better, as you want to keep all of your code inside of the instruction cache. The point is that these optimizations are applicable to all compatible hardware, unlike compiling for specific mircoarchitecture, which will require a specific instruction set that's not the base standard.
    There are always going to be edge cases where something is better. However, in general -Os performs worse than -O2 on modern hardware, and I'd argue that's true in 99/100 applications. Maybe more than that. And -O3 is generally beter than -O2, though perhaps not so completely across the board.

My point was that if you're going to argue for a hardware-agnostic optimization flag, -Os is about the last one you want to pick.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 21 October 2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

There are always going to be edge cases where something is better. However, in general -Os performs worse than -O2 on modern hardware, and I'd argue that's true in 99/100 applications. Maybe more than that. And -O3 is generally beter than -O2, though perhaps not so completely across the board.

My point was that if you're going to argue for a hardware-agnostic optimization flag, -Os is about the last one you want to pick.
      -O3 is considered to be unstable for general use, so -O2 it is.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
        But most code is not linked with --as-needed
        time to change your distro then

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          Implicitly you start at 1, but nothing prevents you from starting in any other positions, or even with a string, because a table is a hash-table..
          table is a hash-table, but list interface to it starts counting from 1
          you can add element at zero index, but syntax is uglier and ipairs will ignore it while pairs will return it out of order. so you can add ugly zeroth element, but it will not be a list anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            -O3 is considered to be unstable for general use, so -O2 it is.
            fix your consideration

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              time to change your distro then
              I'm pretty happy with Clear Linux, for a number of reasons

Comment

I'm pretty happy with Clear Linux, for a number of reasons
                one of them being superfluous shared library deps?

Comment

one of them being superfluous shared library deps?
                  One of the things I learned early in my career is what is worth worrying about and what is not. You can think of it as a variant of Amdahl's law, essentially. So, why should I give a FF about details like that that have no real life impact?

Now, do you just need to have the last word, no matter what?

Comment

One of the things I learned early in my career is what is worth worrying about and what is not. You can think of it as a variant of Amdahl's law, essentially. So, why should I give a FF about details like that that have no real life impact?
                    if you don't understand something, it doesn't necessarily have no real life impact
                    in any case, you made assertion about software in general, not about your personal toy distro. in real distros for grownups --as-needed is on by default (yep, exactly because it has no real life impact)
                    Now, do you just need to have the last word, no matter what?
                    no, but it seems you need it
                    Last edited by pal666; 22 October 2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

if you don't understand something, it doesn't necessarily have no real life impact
                      in any case, you made assertion about software in general, not about your personal toy distro. in real distros for grownups --as-needed is on by default (yep, exactly because it has no real life impact)
                      no, but it seems you need it
                      My assertion is that the vast majority of the tools in /bin/ and /usr/bin are pure C, as opposed to C++, and ldd is a decent way to figure out which ones. That's it, really. You haven't actually made a real argument to the contrary.

You assertion that Clearlinux (essentially the fastest, lowest overhead distro on x86) is not for grownups is absolutely comical.

There's very little point in talking at this time. If this was facebook I'd use the block button and suggest you do the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X