Oracle Reaffirms Supporting Solaris 11 Through Part Of The Next Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"long term commitment to deliver innovation on Oracle Solaris"
    Surest sign the word "innovation" has lost all meaning when it's being used as a euphemism for "on life support with only minor changes and bug support planned". Is it any wonder people can't tell fact from fiction these days when PR types twist meanings of words to the point they no longer mean anything resembling reality?

Comment

I think the biggest piece of news here is that they have't yet either completely discontinued Solaris or left it to rot in the hands of an open source community that may or may not be interested in maintaining it. However it seems like there's enough companies willing to pay for continued support so they'll continue "supporting" it with a few India-based programmers and pocketing 95% of the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

They were spreading FUD against Linux. Linux hit them hard in some areas, so they weren't playing fair. Linux conquered HPC, NASA replaced Solaris in favor of Linux and so on. There were more bad things about Sun, but it's an old story, so it's hard to remind everything now.
        I don't really remember Sun spreading FUD about Linux.. Maybe.. But I think you are confusing them with SCO. Sun gave quite a lot to Linux, Star Office (Libre Office), MySQL, VirtualBox, Java, ZFS, they did a lot of work on Gnome 2 and gave away NFS all for free. If you're looking for Linux enemies.. There was worse then Sun out there. It's nearly impossible to use Linux today without using some software made by Sun.

I really can't think of any other commercial OS vendor that did more for Linux than Sun did..
        Last edited by k1e0x; 28 September 2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

k1e0x
          I know the case with SCO, but the FUD I was talking about was indeed coming from Sun. For example creator of ZFS Jeff Bonwick was doing this. Sun is probably the last company that supported the Linux kernel. IBM, SGI, Intel have done much more. In userspace it's little different, but it's hard to name a single thing from Sun that I would like.
          Last edited by Volta; 28 September 2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            k1e0x
            I know the case with SCO, but the FUD I was talking about was indeed coming from Sun. For example creator of ZFS Jeff Bonwick was doing this. Sun is probably the last company that supported the Linux kernel. IBM, SGI, Intel have done much more. In userspace it's little different, but it's hard to name a single thing from Sun that I would like.
            Maybe everyone forgot the behavior of the Linux kernel devs, Lennart Poettering, Stallman, Canonical, RedHat, etc and everyone else on planet earth too. For you to attack Jeff Bonwick as some sort of evil actor and Sun Microsystems in general is absurd. Did you expect Bonwick to endorse Linux while he was working on Solaris? If the argument is that Bonwick is some evil FUD spreading nasty guy but Linux Torvalds is your kids' godfather I just don't buy it. Very selective outrage to be sure. Sure Sun was mostly incompetent as a business but they open sourced Solaris. Bonwick developed the memory allocator technology that virtually everyone uses now. The ZFS on Linux devs work on maintaining the filesystem on Linux that thousands of people want to and do use while the kernel guys are openly hostile to them. But we're going to complain about Old Sun being evil. Right. Ok.

Nothing in this post should be construed to endorse any activity by Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

OK then tell us what do you mean?
              The general period was called "unix wars", everyone was trying to compete with each other and all dirty tricks were used. At the end Linux more or less won because it was an outsider to all this bs going on.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Surest sign the word "innovation" has lost all meaning when it's being used as a euphemism for "on life support with only minor changes and bug support planned". Is it any wonder people can't tell fact from fiction these days when PR types twist meanings of words to the point they no longer mean anything resembling reality?
                PR people writing complete bullshit that looks nice is not really news

Comment

Volta
                  Pry the reason for user's pace VS kernel is sun actually had a good Unix implementation unlike IBM and SGI. (Intel? They just want to sell hardware) I still use and see quite a lot of purple in various data centers..

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    PR people writing complete bullshit that looks nice is not really news
                    Didn't say it was. Didn't say it was new either. Just pointing out "innovation" is just the latest in a long line of watered down English vocabulary. The way you get people to agree with whatever bullshit a snake oil salesman is peddling is to rewrite the dictionary so you have no choice but to buy their version of reality.

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    Volta
                    Pry the reason for user's pace VS kernel is sun actually had a good Unix implementation unlike IBM and SGI. (Intel? They just want to sell hardware) I still use and see quite a lot of purple in various data centers..
                    Be a bit careful when you refer to boxes by color. SGI and Sun both produced purple cases. Your sentence is kinda ambiguous.
                    SGI Onyx box
                    SGI Onyx
                    Indigos were popular in the day with Los Alamos and my alma matter's math dept.
                    More indigo (blue) than the SGI Indigo! A Sunfire station more blue than flame. I never did get the marketing logic behind that branding. Name it after the sun but color it cool blue. Right. Marketing logic.

The only time I saw SGIs was at national labs or some universities (and reportedly some SFX studios but I didn't work for them). Sun was the go to for engineering departments and high availability back ends - mostly legacy now - hold overs from the age of Big Iron.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      The general period was called "unix wars", everyone was trying to compete with each other and all dirty tricks were used. At the end Linux more or less won because it was an outsider to all this bs going on.

​​​​​​Yes, something like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X