X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cen1
    replied
    Originally posted by dovla091 View Post
    Since they are using still Linux to drive their business, at least they could have resolve the issue with licensing zfs to be compatible with GPLv2. Knowing how corrupted to the core they are (example of suing Google/Android) for their java bullshit, they will never do that. This is the most discussing company in the world.
    The are upstreaming dtrace tho, which makes the zfs issue even more odd.

Leave a comment:

• noangel
    replied
    Don't know about Oracle, but at least we have a choice. With RedHat we have no choice but pay for updates and for support.
    Oracle Linux can be used for free with paid support if needed. In my tests Oracle Linux works the same as Centos. Now we get 8.0 sooner than Centos.
    Maybe in come cases this newer version can be used with newer kernel and features and for free. Also UEK has better hardware support than RedHat kernel for those who want to stay on 7.x. At least for smaller companies who have no money to buy RHEL and no time to wait for Centos.

Leave a comment:

• grumbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Caffarius View Post
    I still don't see the point in Oracle Linux. Most organizations I've been around are starting to avoid Oracle software like the plague (being more or less burnt from their former SPARC infrastructure). Who are they enticing with "late RHEL" aside from the most entrenched gov't entities?
    There are a lot of Telcos who have invested heavily into Oracle for their backend stack. I worked on a large consolidation project for one of the largest mobile providers in the UK and their stack was pretty much completely oracle driven from Oracle hardware all the way up to the Oracle business applications (with contracting firms like Accenture doing the customisations to fit the purpose). All of this was running on Oracle Linux as they claim to have made kernel customisations to allow for better OracleDB performance. Their view is that this gives them a one stop escalation point for issues.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    I suppose Oracle's market is like IBMs. Provide a complete solution for business IT problems.

1) Hardware
    2) OS
    3) Middleware
    4) Domain Specific Software

And for some reason, upper and middle management feel safer if every part of their IT puzzle has the same logo on it (be it Oracle, IBM, Microsoft; they don't care which as long as it is consistent).

Having everything Oracle and then just RedHat for the OS might make some non-techies panic .

Oracle Linux generally works the same; the only slight complexity I had was installing the NVIDIA blob drivers (can't remember if kmod from rpmfusion or the upstream NVIDIA package); I think some of the scripts are a bit broken and misdetected and linked against the non-uek (unbreakable enterprise kernel) rather than the UEK one I was actually running.
    I do like the public yum repo; not having to faff about setting up subscriptions and enabling many smaller repos is quite nice.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 16 August 2019, 06:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dovla091
    replied
    Since they are using still Linux to drive their business, at least they could have resolve the issue with licensing zfs to be compatible with GPLv2. Knowing how corrupted to the core they are (example of suing Google/Android) for their java bullshit, they will never do that. This is the most discussing company in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Caffarius
    replied
    I still don't see the point in Oracle Linux. Most organizations I've been around are starting to avoid Oracle software like the plague (being more or less burnt from their former SPARC infrastructure). Who are they enticing with "late RHEL" aside from the most entrenched gov't entities?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Oracle Linux 7 Update 7 Released

Oracle Linux 7 Update 7 Released

Phoronix: Oracle Linux 7 Update 7 Released

Based on last week's release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7 is now Oracle Linux 7 Update 7 with many of the same changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X