Oracle Linux 8.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    Every time I read about this distro's "Unbreakable Kernel" I think to myself "I didn't realize one could "break" a kernel.
    Ooops - Panic!!

I wonder if they just removed those bits of the kernel

Comment

But what's this I hear about them making it non-free and changing the executable format so that it's not compatible with older versions? Oh.. .nevermind, I was thinking about Java.

Comment

Open source does not mean can't make money off of it. Oracle Linux does not mean can't use other Linux.

On the other hand, it makes sense to have some control over the OS for the software company. Apple has it, Microsoft has it, Google has it, IBM has it. It provides competitive advantage and easier support.

Also, as said, Java and MySQL on various forms run on lots of places, perfectly free (as in beer, and to a degree as in rights). And Oracle is a Linux corporate member and even a kernel contributor, albeit not even close to likes of Redhat or IBM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
          But what's this I hear about them making it non-free and changing the executable format so that it's not compatible with older versions? Oh.. .nevermind, I was thinking about Java.
          Ahh, you mean that whole thing where they open sourced everything they possibly could in the Java stack, and handed it over to the OpenJDK project, had it be the whole reference spec that defines what Java is, and then said "Hey, use OpenJDK for all things Java. If you specifically want enterprise level support contracts, though, you can use our version"

Disclaimer: I work for Oracle, not on Java. Opinions my own etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
          X