Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux 8.0 Released

Phoronix: Oracle Linux 8.0 Released

In early May right before the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 we saw the public beta of Oracle Linux 8 while today Oracle Linux 8.0 has been promoted to stable and production ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any users of this distro?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Any users of this distro?
      Almost anybody using Oracle's database products who pay for support. They generally refuse or charge more to support their products if their distro isn't used. They also build in some advanced features into their UEK kernel that offers better support for their products as well.

Comment

It's also easier to install oracle-free products (like the Oracle XE) since a lot of the requisites comes pre-installed and configured

Comment

I see Oracle figured out how to use sed.. And.. There are no "free" Oracle products. You pay in some way. (Oracle is a company that charges its customers for security patches)

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            I see Oracle figured out how to use sed.. And.. There are no "free" Oracle products. You pay in some way. (Oracle is a company that charges its customers for security patches)
            If only this was unique to Oracle, but it is far from it. It's pretty common practice with commercial software.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              Patches for Oracle Linux are entirely free. Mirrors and sources are all publicly accessible: http://public-yum.oracle.com/

Disclaimer: I work for Oracle, but not on the Oracle Linux Team.

Comment

Although I'm very skeptical of Oracle, and would clearly prefer CentOS over this, what are actually the downsides of using this over waiting for CentOS?
                OS and updates are all free. There's historically been an optional 'unbreakable' kernel that you can choose not to use. Assuming you don't need support, and treat this like CentOS, isn't it equivalent?
                I get the 'oracle is evil' opinions, and I wouldn't willingly use them for software that required paid patches etc.., but surely this is as safe as using MySQL or Java, right?

Comment

In a surprise move, IBM decides to deploy Oracle Linux 8.0

(ok, it was just a joke, but funny)

Comment

Every time I read about this distro's "Unbreakable Kernel" I think to myself "I didn't realize one could "break" a kernel.

Comment

Working...
                    X