Solaris 11.3 SRU 33 Better Deals With ZFS Sending Of Compressed Data & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris 11.3 SRU 33 Better Deals With ZFS Sending Of Compressed Data & More

Phoronix: Solaris 11.3 SRU 33 Better Deals With ZFS Sending Of Compressed Data & More

Oracle Solaris 11.4 is still being prepared for release but in the meantime there is now the thirty-third stable release update for Solaris 11.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Oracle have any plans for Solaris or are they killing it off?

I hear people saying the source code quality and architecture of Solaris is great, and it has advantages over Linux.
    I would love to see Solaris re-licensed or dual-licensed under the BSD or GPL so code could more easily be moved between Solaris and BSD and Linux.

It is great that Solaris is under an open source license, it is great that BSD is under an open source license, and it is great that Linux is under an open source license. But they all being under different open source licenses is a shame since it creates islands of fragmentation and duplication which hampers everybody and only benefits the proprietary OS vendors such as macOS, IBM AIX, HP-UX and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I hear people saying the source code quality and architecture of Solaris is great, and it has advantages over Linux.
      I would love to see Solaris re-licensed or dual-licensed under the BSD or GPL so code could more easily be moved between Solaris and BSD and Linux.

It is great that Solaris is under an open source license, it is great that BSD is under an open source license, and it is great that Linux is under an open source license. But they all being under different open source licenses is a shame since it creates islands of fragmentation and duplication which hampers everybody and only benefits the proprietary OS vendors such as macOS, IBM AIX, HP-UX and Windows.
      Solaris is old, dead crap and its code quality is terrible. It's probably even worse than FreeBSD, because unlike Solaris FreeBSD is open source, so more people find and fix its bugs.

Comment

Solaris is old and dead. Its code quality is terrible. It's probably even worse than FreeBSD, because unlike Solaris FreeBSD is open source, so more people find and fix its bugs.

Comment

Solaris is old. Its code quality is ter rible. It's probably even worse than FreeBSD, because unlike Solaris FreeBSD is open source, so more people find and fix its bugs.

Comment

@uid

Solaris is old and dead. Its code quality is terrible. It's probably even worse than FreeBSD, because unlike Solaris FreeBSD is open source, so more people find and fix its bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              @uid

Apparently also vBullettin forum software has terrible code quality. That's evidence of its antispam feature harassing innocents.

Comment

Working...
              X