No announcement yet.

OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04, Drops GNOME 2 For MATE + Adds KPTI For Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04, Drops GNOME 2 For MATE + Adds KPTI For Meltdown

Phoronix: OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04, Drops GNOME 2 For MATE + Adds KPTI For Meltdown

The OpenSolaris-derived Illumos-based OpenIndiana operating system is out with their first Hipster update of the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oh yea.. don't waste your time and d/l that OS if you have Intel GFX > Generation 8 (eg starting from Broadwell) still no suport

Comment

Oracle Solaris is not an upstream for OpenIndiana. Those are completely separate projects with common ancestor - OpenSolaris.

Comment

about bloody time, Sun Java Desktop used Gnome 2 the predecessor to Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by eddybb View Post
          oh yea.. don't waste your time and d/l that OS if you have Intel GFX > Generation 8 (eg starting from Broadwell) still no suport
          Finally someone clarifies it. I hope Michael doesn't commit all these mistakes.

Anyway, he seems somewhat biased against anything related to Solaris. The hardware bugs found by him would be fixed by the OpenIndiana developers as they are a quite friendly project, but he just ranted instead asking for FREE support before publishing his articles.

Sometimes, Moronix nickname for this website makes sense....

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Finally someone clarifies it. I hope Michael doesn't commit all these mistakes.

Anyway, he seems somewhat biased against anything related to Solaris. The hardware bugs found by him would be fixed by the OpenIndiana developers as they are a quite friendly project, but he just ranted instead asking for FREE support before publishing his articles.

Slowlaris is dead and Oracle is just patching this frankenstein, because they have to support their current customers. Nobody sane would ever invest in this shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Slowlaris is dead and Oracle is just patching this frankenstein, because they have to support their current customers. Nobody sane would ever invest in this shit.
              Despite you might be right or not (I reserve my personal opinion, but I use Linux-based systems most of the time), your comment is totally out of the blue.

OpenIndiana project is making nice things and they are a very friendly project. I consider they deserve more support and constructive efforts than just bashing them.

Let me remind you something: They aren't part of Oracle, consider them the equivalent of LibreOffice in the Solaris world. That's good enough to me to support them.

Anyway, I consider the project is severely poisoned by the CDDL trap. I hope licenses like this would get legally invalidated someday, as they are used for evil anti-competitive tactics against other popular licenses such as GPL ones.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

He does benchmarks, he isn't interested in debugging stuff. Even for Linux he rarely does that.

And please spare Moronix nickname for clickbait articles that actually deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  OpenIndiana is a separate project evolved from the same ancestor, Oracle's Slowlaris is effectively closed source afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    about bloody time, Sun Java Desktop used Gnome 2 the predecessor to Mate.
                    Well the switch to MATE as default desktop was made 2 years ago (2016.10) after a bit more than a year of testing.
                    The meaning of "dropping Gnome 2" is that compatibility with the Sun Java Desktop is not ensured anymore as core libraries have finally been removed.
                    Now you may question why energy was spent to keep compatibility with OpenSolaris-era software, but Michael's formulation is in any case misleading.

Comment

Working...
                    X