OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.04, Drops GNOME 2 For MATE + Adds KPTI For Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddybb View Post
    oh yea.. don't waste your time and d/l that OS if you have Intel GFX > Generation 8 (eg starting from Broadwell) still no suport
    The Intel driver has been a moving target for some time, some hardware bugs hit the illumos version, and it takes a lot of resources to port the changes from a codebase that has diverged considerably.
    I did waste a lot of time on porting to recent versions but it is not trivial, and just ENOTIME...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Despite you might be right or not (I reserve my personal opinion, but I use Linux-based systems most of the time), your comment is totally out of the blue.

OpenIndiana project is making nice things and they are a very friendly project. I consider they deserve more support and constructive efforts than just bashing them.

Let me remind you something: They aren't part of Oracle, consider them the equivalent of LibreOffice in the Solaris world. That's good enough to me to support them.

Anyway, I consider the project is severely poisoned by the CDDL trap. I hope licenses like this would get legally invalidated someday, as they are used for evil anti-competitive tactics against other popular licenses such as GPL ones.
      I know OpenIndiana is something totally different. That's why I was talking about Oracle Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        Nobody sane would ever invest in this shit.
        Samsung did but I have to agree that "sane" may be not the best word to describe Samsung. They bought Joyent which develops SmartOS - illumos downstream project which is OpenSolaris fork.

Comment

Working...
        X