MySQL 8.0 Released With Many Improvements, Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Is JSON in relational databases truly useful or just a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a post-SQL / NoSQL world?
    We're closer to a post-NoSQL world, where most people has finished playing with their toys and gone back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

We're closer to a post-NoSQL world, where most people has finished playing with their toys and gone back to work.
      This. MongoDB is quite useless for any real world application that grows over your RAM for the working set. It's also useless once you realize you need to do any analytics on the data.

I call it CommentsDB coz it's only good for skript kiddy blog comments sections.

Comment

How these perf numbers compare to MariaDB?

About json on relational database, it is really useful, you got almost the best of both worlds, at least in my use cases on Postgres

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          For a while it seemed like not much was happening to MySQL and people were migrating away from MySQL to MariaDB which was the "new" MySQL in the same way that LibreOffice became the new OpenOffice.org. Many people feared MySQL would starve under Oracle as happened to many other products under the management of Oracle but it seems that MySQL is alive and kicking.
          How does MySQL compare with MariaDB these days?
          Are the code bases pretty close or have they diverged significantly?
          Which one is the preferred choice?
          MariaDB pulls in all the changes Oracle does do MySQL to their codebase while the opposite does not seam to happen (Oracle seams to be really big in NIH) so I would say that MariaDB is the way forward and is also why all the major distributions have switched to MariaDB over MySQL.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            About json on relational database, it is really useful, you got almost the best of both worlds, at least in my use cases on Postgres
            Yep. The JSON part is good for those entities that don't really map well to a fixed table structure in a traditional relation model... but the relational part makes it easier to manage the references between those entities, and the bits that do fit the table model...

Comment

Working...
            X