Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solaris 11.4 Beta Updated With Spectre V1 Mitigation, Systemd Bit To Make GNOME Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris 11.4 Beta Updated With Spectre V1 Mitigation, Systemd Bit To Make GNOME Happy

Phoronix: Solaris 11.4 Beta Updated With Spectre V1 Mitigation, Systemd Bit To Make GNOME Happy

While some at Oracle were busy releasing Oracle Linux 7 Update 5 as their RHEL7 downstream, the remaining Solaris developers were putting out a refreshed public beta spin of Solaris 11.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

tried booting the iso in qemu, i get errors about sata, and an error about usb, when i switched to ide, it just hardlocks during boot.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
      tried booting the iso in qemu, i get errors about sata, and an error about usb, when i switched to ide, it just hardlocks during boot.
      Got past that part. Now it complains about not enough disk space no matter how large the disk is.

Comment

When is Oracle going to officially kill Solaris?
        It might very well be a technically good operating system with clean code, great architecture, etc but Oracle seems to have not know what to do with it, have no plan for it, and nobody really trusts Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

Got past that part. Now it complains about not enough disk space no matter how large the disk is.
          Might be caused by the fact that ZFS needs to have direct access to hard drive(s) and not have "intermediate layers" between it and drive(s). ZFS on FreeBSD seems to get by, though I would not run it in virtual machine using ZFS myself. Might be different with Oracle's implementation of ZFS because it's different from FreeBSD's.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It might very well be but Oracle seems to have not know what to do with it, have no plan for it, and nobody really trusts Oracle.
          Do not substitute your own opinions or fantasies to the reality. Why do I even have to explain obvious things.

Oracle is a profitable company. To make profit, you need clients who trust you enough to provide what they need to start with. It's not like Oracle has complete monopoly and lock on the market and gets it's money trough sheer blackmail. Start from that and form your conclusions about reality accordingly.

Oracle uses whatever it makes it profit. There is nothing about ideology a la "Linux is good, Solaris bad" or vice-versa. When there is a demand, Oracle is going to try satisfying it as long as it remains profitable. So, if it happens Oracle is releasing new updates for Solaris, it means there is actual and very real demand for Solaris updates - for whatever reason - among Oracle's clientele - irregardless of your fantasies about Linux's supremacy.
          Last edited by aht0; 19 April 2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            When is Oracle going to officially kill Solaris?
            This is Oracle we're talking about, so it seems safe to say: when it stops making them money.

Comment

The big news buried in this announcement seems to me to be that Solaris 11 only gets one more year of support on SPARC T3 and older hardware. This is surprisingly short notice for the kind of customer that runs this hardware, although I guess most of them are still on Solaris 10.

Comment

Originally posted by mavit View Post

This is Oracle we're talking about, so it seems safe to say: when it stops making them money.
                Or more correct: when they won't have to support it anymore for people who already bought it.

Comment

Working...
                X