Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris 2008.11 Release Candidate

Phoronix: OpenSolaris 2008.11 Release Candidate

For those interested in helping out Sun Microsystems with testing out the near-final build of OpenSolaris 2008.11, its release candidate is now available. This build is based upon Build 101a of the open-source OpenSolaris code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any way to get the .usb images onto an usb drive with a Linux environment? The usbcopy utility seems to be Solaris only and dd didn't work the way it should...

Comment

Untill opensolaris doesn't support my ehternet motherboard card, I really don't know what to do with this OS. I tried the last stable release back in may and it didnt support my card, now I tried this new RC and still no support.

Comment

Network Card

what is your network card?

It'd be interesting to find out, most Hardwired network cards (as opposed to wireless) are supported nowadays, although some USB ones (Realtek have an internal USB device instead of an internal PCI ...) will not be supported.

If you don't like the official build, you might like the Belenix one that has all the patches, drivers and fixes that the Belenix guys find fit to install, you have to get the old Belenix, but you can then do a web update (http://www.belenix.org/content/Build...ilable-BeleniX) to get it to the latest kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
          what is your network card?

It'd be interesting to find out, most Hardwired network cards (as opposed to wireless) are supported nowadays, although some USB ones (Realtek have an internal USB device instead of an internal PCI ...) will not be supported.

If you don't like the official build, you might like the Belenix one that has all the patches, drivers and fixes that the Belenix guys find fit to install, you have to get the old Belenix, but you can then do a web update (http://www.belenix.org/content/Build...ilable-BeleniX) to get it to the latest kernel.
          I've got an NVIDIA MCP67 ethernet card and there aren't drivers in OpenSolaris default cd.

Comment

Hmm ... Had a look at some discussions ...

I can see your point ...

If i had physical access to the hardware theres a few things i'd try, sounds like it might work with the 'nge' driver that comes with Solaris ...

I believe it's a re-badged realtek rtl8211/8211.

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
              Hmm ... Had a look at some discussions ...

I can see your point ...

If i had physical access to the hardware theres a few things i'd try, sounds like it might work with the 'nge' driver that comes with Solaris ...

I believe it's a re-badged realtek rtl8211/8211.
              exactly, it's a re-budged realtek. But come on, I don't have time to make an OS understand an ethernet card. It's year 2008, and as a desktop user (even though I'm a programmer), I won't waste my time on this. It's duty of OS making my hardware work. If opensolaris goal is to spread out, before even thinking of this it should support at least ethernet cards... I'll give it a try next year.

Comment

Realtek's (at least until they started doing weird sh*t like having them as USB devices on motherboards) are well supported.

I'm gonna agree with you that I want the things to work out of the box, but with things like some of the newer realtek cards (which don't work amazingly well on windows either) the support for linux is only via someones hacked binaries that i found on a users website.

If you have a brand new (unsupported) network card for windows you would think nothing of putting the driver disk in the CD drive to add the driver, this isn't much different, except that you don't get the CD in the box, you have to download it

If you pick devices from Major suppliers (Intel, Broadcom, etc) then they will be supported.

Sorry, that sounded like a rant.

Comment

well, the case wants that the card works good for me on Windows and Linux so I expect it to work on solaris too if it works on linux it means it can work anywhere and it's not Windows dependent as win modem were. and of course I won't go buying a new ethernet card. I personally, as a user, really don't care why the card works on Linux. What I care is that it works. Thats what 99% of users around the world want. They pay for hardware that must work and they don't want to hear anything else. It can be a bit ignorant to say this, but this is how things work, I pay for something that has to work.

As said, I'll give opensolaris another try next year hoping they do something about this since im not on a strange motherboard but it's an Nvidia Nforce 6 chipset.

Comment

Working...
                  X