Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Planning To Release Their Librem Tablet In 2018

Phoronix: Purism Planning To Release Their Librem Tablet In 2018

Not only is Purism working on their Librem 5 smartphone this year with hopes of still readying the software and hardware for shipping to consumers in 2019, but they are also planning to unveil their tablet this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they'll succeed unlike the failed Jolla tablet. What hardware will it use?

Comment

I hope they'll shed some light on whether they'll be using i.mx6 or i.mx8.

Comment

The article seems to suggest that the tablet is some sort of yet-to-be detailed product, while I'm pretty sure that it's the Librem 11, that was available for preorder and for which the specs have been available for over an year now:

Comment

Ubuntu Touch Tablet. Been there, done that. Dead end.

A Linux based tablet seems appealing, but the people I had test touch hated the scopes approach and the lack of apps. (I actually liked scopes)

The linux nerds hated the fact you couldn't futz with it at will and the OTA updates wiped out any lower level changes they made.

So what exactly do they hope to accomplish with a Linux tablet?

Will the ability to flash the ROM be left open so advanced users can install new builds and kernels at will?

Or will the ROM be a walled garden that can only be touched by the creator, where only sanctioned OTA updates are permitted?

Personally, if you are going to make a tablet ecosystem in the spirit of Linux, the device should come with a ROM builder so the users can package and load the Linux builds they might generate. If it fails to load, it can be rebuilt/restored easily.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            Ubuntu Touch Tablet. Been there, done that. Dead end.

A Linux based tablet seems appealing, but the people I had test touch hated the scopes approach and the lack of apps. (I actually liked scopes)

The linux nerds hated the fact you couldn't futz with it at will and the OTA updates wiped out any lower level changes they made.

So what exactly do they hope to accomplish with a Linux tablet?

Will the ability to flash the ROM be left open so advanced users can install new builds and kernels at will?

Or will the ROM be a walled garden that can only be touched by the creator, where only sanctioned OTA updates are permitted?

Personally, if you are going to make a tablet ecosystem in the spirit of Linux, the device should come with a ROM builder so the users can package and load the Linux builds they might generate. If it fails to load, it can be rebuilt/restored easily.
            There is no scopes approach here as GNOME Shell (or KDE Plasma) doesn't use scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              I hope they'll succeed unlike the failed Jolla tablet. What hardware will it use?
              You mean unlike the failed KDE tablet (Vivaldi)? 'Cause the Jolla tablet wasn't supposed to be 100% open hardware, unlike the failed KDE tablet and this new Purism tablet.

Comment

Good for them, but I hope I'm not the only one worried they're being a bit to ambitious and trying to juggle too many projects at once. I was wrong about there not being enough interest to make the Librem phone happen so I wouldn't be too surprised if the tablet gets funded even quicker, but by splitting resources between the two major projects may affect both of them negatively.

Comment

i hope they use a gpu with open source vulkan drivers avaible

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You mean unlike the failed KDE tablet (Vivaldi)? 'Cause the Jolla tablet wasn't supposed to be 100% open hardware, unlike the failed KDE tablet and this new Purism tablet.
                    Jolla tablet wasn't any more closed than KDE's one. Actually it had more chances to run open drivers - it used Intel GPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X