No announcement yet.

Eelo: The Latest Linux Mobile Attempt, Led By Mandrake's Founder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing 5 lines of systemd unit files is complicated but hundreds (thousands, even) lines of badly huddled shell script isn't?
    Why doesn't your kind just admit that sysvinit made them feel special (almost like real software developers ... minus the talent and willingness to adapt a real programming language) and that's the main reason for all that BS trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
      SystemD did the same thing to Linux and Android does: make it too complicated for anyone but a professional.
      In addition to the points made by starshipeleven and unixfan2001, your comment is especially silly because systemd has better documentation than SysV init. https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ - everything you need is linked from that page.

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post
        The correct title should be: "Someone developed the 1000th Android launcher." Not very interesting.
        But the important point is, a customized fork of LineageOS has a hundred times the chances of sustainable success of other attempts to make an open source Android competitor like FirefoxOS or Ubuntu Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          In addition to the points made by starshipeleven and unixfan2001, your comment is especially silly because systemd has better documentation than SysV init. https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ - everything you need is linked from that page.
          systemd also has MUCH shorter documentation, and orders of magnitude less pityfalls and traps.

Because the full documentation of initscripts is basically the docs of Bash/dash/ash/your_shell_here, GNU utils (or busybox), and/or whatever else is called from the init script itself. And it also requires some programming skills to get right.

Note that I'm not against using simple and dumb scripts to add your own little customizations or run your own little scripts/programs (and systemd lets you do this fine). The issue is when something goes bad in a serious program and I need to debug 3 pages of shellscript written by god-knows-who.

Comment

and prior to being acquired by Mandriva
            Mandrake Linux wasn't acquired by Mandriva. MandrakeSoft changed their name to Mandriva S.A. in response to a trademark infringement lawsuit regarding Mandrake the Magician. (Which makes sense, given that my boxed copy of MandrakeLinux 10.0 has a magician mascot on it.)

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              The only smart thing is accepting that Linux has no future on user products except routers, and going for Android instead.

I can sense the flames coming due to this comment, and I'm no Jedi.
              of course you are not, you even don't know that android is linux

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
                SystemD did the same thing to Linux and Android does: make it too complicated for anyone but a professional.
                i see most complicated thing for you is correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                  Quite frankly, its ridiculous and anyone who doesn't recognize this is playing political boolcrap, or they're just plain fookin' stoopid.
                  off your meds again?

Comment

Android especially the default one with google as the gatekeeper is like a console operating system. Would you say Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch are the same?, and the same as FreeBSD or TrueOS on a real computer? Or that an iphone is a macintosh?

That said there is value in getting Lineage with no gapps more widespread.
                    (the problem with it though, most random phones are incompatible. Some phones have custom ROMs made by individuals - you're asked to flash a binary provided by a random nobody. And other phones have no 3rd party support)

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                      Sadly this will very likely end like Mandrake Linux... Subtle cosmetic changes over someone's else code/program.

The only smart thing is accepting that Linux has no future on user products except routers, and going for Android instead.

I can sense the flames coming due to this comment, and I'm no Jedi.
                      We (www.volkspc.org) just did that. We run Debian XFCE on top of Android. We use our own graphics stack (MicroXwin) instead of X11 which means GUI apps are faster than running Debian natively. Here is a clip of our distribution running on ODROID-C2 :

VOLKSPC distribution based on Marshmallow and Debian XFCE running on ODROID-C2 quad core ARM SBC

Comment

Working...
                      X