Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eelo: The Latest Linux Mobile Attempt, Led By Mandrake's Founder

Phoronix: Eelo: The Latest Linux Mobile Attempt, Led By Mandrake's Founder

The latest project aiming for an open-source mobile Linux operating system that is privacy-minded is Eelo. This project does have some merit as it's being started by the original creator of Mandrake Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The correct title should be: "Someone developed the 1000th Android launcher." Not very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post
      The correct title should be: "Someone developed the 1000th Android launcher." Not very interesting.
      You're forgetting the 100000000th icon pack.

Comment

I wouldn't be so harsh but I don't like the Iphone/Android approach and UX/UI it is a completely mess. I would not be very interested in another Android variation.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          I wouldn't be so harsh but I don't like the Iphone/Android approach and UX/UI it is a completely mess. I would not be very interested in another Android variation.
          I would if it did things in a more gnu/linux way.

Some ideas (and yes, I'm sure some ignorance is showing) :
          Full bash included out of the box
          x11/Wayland built in as apps. From there, you can add shortcuts to the homescreen that let you choose which x11/wayland app to launch
          Plug into monitor for full linux environment
          Only ship on devices with fully upstream kernel (far and few inbetween at the moment but there are a few, and they could push for more)

Comment

Well, the blog post itself is worth a read. He explains that he wants to build that to get his privacy back. And this is very interesting, because for what I know, many hackers on xda-developers don't care about that. It's either "modify it to improve its UX" but without privacy in mind, or "add privacy to it" but without any UX skills. So, in my opinion, there is room for this project.

Comment

Sadly this will very likely end like Mandrake Linux... Subtle cosmetic changes over someone's else code/program.

The only smart thing is accepting that Linux has no future on user products except routers, and going for Android instead.

I can sense the flames coming due to this comment, and I'm no Jedi.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                Sadly this will very likely end like Mandrake Linux... Subtle cosmetic changes over someone's else code/program.

The only smart thing is accepting that Linux has no future on user products except routers, and going for Android instead.

I can sense the flames coming due to this comment, and I'm no Jedi.
                Except Android is Linux. Without Linux, Android wouldn't be where it is. We can accept that different takes on Linux work in different areas/markets/niches but that's a strength of Linux not a weakness.

Comment

To develop for Linux requires pretty much nothing since pygtk is preinstalled most of the time and node qt or gcc are easily installed and uninstalled in a few megabytes with or even without administrative access.

To develop for Windows, you can spray mingw all over your fs, or install the huge and complicated but high quality Visual Studio in a gigabyte or two.

To develop for Android, you need a gigabyte of Android Studio up front, plus however much for the packages it needs to install when you create a project, sprayed into whatever directories.

To make open source on Android viable, we need a node or python or something with gui bindings that you can write one or more text files, and maybe a privileges ini and some gui descriptor xml or whatever, and have an android app.

SystemD did the same thing to Linux and Android does: make it too complicated for anyone but a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
                    SystemD did the same thing to Linux and Android does: make it too complicated for anyone but a professional.
                    This part of your post is bullshit.

I can't comment on the rest of the post but I suspect it's similar quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X