Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Picks Up Support For Some Older ThinkPads

Phoronix: Coreboot Picks Up Support For Some Older ThinkPads

Coreboot is now able to replace the proprietary BIOS on some older Lenovo ThinkPads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The older one is from 2005 and the other one from 2012. 2012 isn't to bad, but it looks to be a Chrome Book, so probably not the most powerful machine.

Comment

I have a z60t (not a z61t). The fancy titanium top is really snazzy.

However, its processor is a Pentium M. Am I correct in thinking that Coreboot will unlikely ever support this. Would there be a lot of work needed to support the pre-Core processors?

Certainly fast enough for a non-bloated OS and for most of my daily C/C++ work. Weighs far too much to be used as my main portable however
      Last edited by kpedersen; 21 December 2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        The older one is from 2005 and the other one from 2012. 2012 isn't to bad, but it looks to be a Chrome Book, so probably not the most powerful machine.
        Me and esp. my dad's Chromebook are pretty powerful (with full Linux running on it!), so don't let the name fool you. But yeah, a 2012 Chromebook is bad sauce.

Comment

Meh, I have high hopes for the LinuxBoot project https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm...orum/linuxboot (the core of NERF)

Which is basically hacking UEFI to remove anything not related to basic board initialization, and get a Linux kernel on flash to take over whatever the UEFI firmware is doing.

Same founder of Coreboot, Ron Minnich.

Comment

Working...
          X