• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    When it comes to 2D/Modesetting
    2d is so last millenium

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      Haven't we been platform agnostic for a long time? Be careful what you wish for. Upper management might decide to sponsor Java all over again. But seriously, the explosion of options are just a return to the past. Risc, Mips, Cisc, Vax, Power, Sparc, Itanium. There has historically been plenty of architecture options.
      You forgot the finest of them all, the DEC Alpha! Still have one in my basement, running Gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        Because community devs doing the reverse engineering don't have magic wands and there's only so much that they can do without having access to actual documentation but having to rely instead on guessing using dumps ? (In general, small problem will take much longer to get ironed out)
        well, this is good for predicting some future driver, but we already have driver, so you could just compare existing drivers instead of comparing some theories. and existing reverse engineered freedreno is best arm opengl driver atm
        Because there are no longterm devs on a payroll specially dedicated to this driver, but instead only community devs doing bits of improvement here and there when they have some spare time left from their normal food-paying day jobs ?
        but freedreno does have longterm dev on payroll. on redhat's payroll, but still
        Just look at nouveau
        why do you look at nouveau instead of looking at freedreno?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it can be made, but it is not made yet. current generic installer would work on (regularly growing)subset of all arm devices
          By "generic installer", do you guys refer to the pre-boot system, e.g. UEFI, BIOS, coreboot?

Comment

So the guys who eventually added a hidden ARM core to their Ryzen CPUs to run some signed blob frimware with ring -3 access to everything, in order not to be left out of the Intel ME/AMT shitfest, are teaming with the guys who make ARM chipsets where the baseband modem acts as the chipset's north-bridge while running blobs that legally have to be written only by special license-holder ?
            So you're piling closed blobs upon closed blobs ? What could possibly go wrong...
            To be fair, I said MORE open source friendly, not actually open source friendly. We just started from a pretty low point with ARM chip manufacturers. Pretty much anything else is better. Plus, it isn't hidden if people know about it and it is documented in AMD whitepapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post

We here are using Ubuntu Linux for ARM (Raspberry Pi3) daily as desktop machines since several years, and it's basically identical to our Ubuntu for x86 machines, i.e. no apps missing,
              Its hard to believe, because every time i used them, response time for work was PITA, maybe Android would be run fast enough on them, not is not good for basic desktop work.

Do you have any calculations, how much time users just burn on waiting on some compute? Because usually make sense for employer to spend money at stronger HW, because people with it can do more work with same effort.. Otherwise we would have everywhere just cheap Pentiums or old AMD CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post
                By "generic installer", do you guys refer to the pre-boot system, e.g. UEFI, BIOS, coreboot?
                no, that's not linux

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                  Do you have any calculations, how much time users just burn on waiting on some compute? Because usually make sense for employer to spend money at stronger HW, because people with it can do more work with same effort.. Otherwise we would have everywhere just cheap Pentiums or old AMD CPUs.
                  To clarify, with "we here" I was meaning my family, not an office with employees. My wife and kids do their Thunderbird, Vivaldi and Libreoffice tasks perfectly fine with their Raspberry Pi3 running Xubuntu 16 LTS, since these applications on the slim XFCE desktop don't need number-crunching power but run smooth enough on the four 1,2 GHz ARM8 cores. Albeit still in 32 bit only so far – as soon as there's a 64 bit Raspbian/Ubuntu, we will gain more speed from 64 bit.

Also for my evening leisure tasks a Pi3 is fine, but indeed for IT day work I use a faster machine than a Pi, for the reasons you mentioned.

So I'm very interested in these new powerful and current-saving ARM machines mentioned in Michael's article. I would any day replace my bloated x86 desktop machine with an ARM powered Linux one.

Comment

Because community devs doing the reverse engineering don't have magic wands and there's only so much that they can do without having access to actual documentation but having to rely instead on guessing using dumps ? (In general, small problem will take much longer to get ironed out)
                    Because there are no longterm devs on a payroll specially dedicated to this driver, but instead only community devs doing bits of improvement here and there when they have some spare time left from their normal food-paying day jobs ?

Just look at nouveau - one of the hugest reverse engineering effort - that still sort-of works if you happen to have a chipset that matches one of those that the devs can test on, etc. but there are still weird bugs creeping on.
                    Vs. amdgpu which basically works, and if it doesn't (like some of the recent chips during the early time after their release) there actual devs paid to fix the problems ASAP.

I don't want to denigrate the efforts of the nouveau team. They are doing wonders given the circumstances.
                    But they are severly limited in what they can do due to lack of resources.
                    I think the more fitting comparison is the Freedreno driver, as it also concerns ARM platforms. Started without help from Qualcomm, reverse engineered, but soon surpassed the vendor driver in performance and quality. Then Qualcomm (or rather Qualcomm's customers, I suppose) started noticing and now Qualcomm officially works on that driver.

Now that you mention NVidia, there is actually an example for that company too, which is the forcedeth driver for the integrated Ethernet in NForce chipsets. NVidia originally released only their own proprietary ethernet driver.

Comment

BGR is reporting that the Windows 10 gear running Snapdragon 835 is just a placeholder until the Snapdragon 845 is released next year. They are suggesting people hold off and not buy the units with the 835 and wait until the 845 is available.

The new processor is 25% more powerful than its predecessor, and graphics performance is up by 30%. These are relevant parameters, especially when talking about machines that should run Windows 10 apps. And there’s support for AR and VR features built into Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 platform, and we all know Microsoft is betting big on such experiences for the future of Windows 10.

Moreover, the chip comes with a new built-in Snapdragon X20 LTE modem that supports theoretical LTE speeds of up to 1.2Gbps. Wi-Fi speeds now support the 802.11ad standard, and there’s Bluetooth 5.0 support inside the 845.

The 845 is the basis for all of the next gen phones (ie: Galaxy/Note 9) and Samsung has been showing off a dock that allows one to run Win32 apps on their phone when it is docked.

Speaking of docked, Win32 app support on the 835/845 is being done via an app container using Hyper-V, similar to how Docker on Windows works.

Comment

Working...
                      X