Jolla's CEO Provides An End of Year Update On Sailfish OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
    Do you know if there's been any progress on sfdroid Android compatibility layer that's open-source?
    I wonder if Anbox works for what you're wanting it for

I googled Anbox Jolla but all I came up with was this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jolla/comme...id_with_anbox/

Comment

Too late for me I'm afraid. I just bought myself an Android phone (Xiaomi) ...

I'll need to setup LineageOS for it, and probably try MicroG.org apps in place of stock GApps.
      Psst, use Magisk on it. https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        What do you miss?
        Open sourcing of their whole UI. It's still not open under FOSS license, so it's a major downside in comparison with KDE Plasma Mobile for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Open sourcing of their whole UI. It's still not open under FOSS license, so it's a major downside in comparison with KDE Plasma Mobile for instance.
          I rather see more work on Nemo Glacier UI instead, the complaint about the UI feels to me like complaining about android not being open source because <insert vendor> doesn't open source there UI.
          Do you know if there's been any progress on sfdroid Android compatibility layer that's open-source?

Wiki doesn't seem to have been updated since 2016 February... Github seems a bit more active, but not much.
          sfdroid isn't developed anymore, everyone is putting there hopes to anbox now.

Comment

I rather see more work on Nemo Glacier UI instead, the complaint about the UI feels to me like complaining about android not being open source because <insert vendor> doesn't open source there UI.
            Who is working on Nemo UI? I see no point in reinventing the wheel, if in result no one is working on it. If Sailfish UI is most used / most worked on, it should be opened up.

Comment

You had me at Blockchain

Comment

You can install and build the unofficial sailfish x also known as community port on your Xperia X, the difference is mostly no android support, no MS exchange support or predictive text input.
                What do you miss?
                99,9% of the applications and the opportunity to use it as a primary device for work.
                Seems a bit hard to recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Who is working on Nemo UI? I see no point in reinventing the wheel, if in result no one is working on it. If Sailfish UI is most used / most worked on, it should be opened up.
                  Glacier UI development has been rather slow but it seems like it has been getting more attentions lately.
                  I need to play with it to know the current status, to bad it's not possible for me to try it now.

Some official channels with low activity.
                  #nemomobile @freenode irc

Nemo Mobile UX has 104 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

99,9% of the applications and the opportunity to use it as a primary device for work.
                  Seems a bit hard to recommend.
                  If that is so important to you then you may look at open source alternatives, it's pure linux or buy the official SailfishX.
                  Depending on your needs are it can be a pleasant experience or an unpleasant one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    I'm still using the first Jolla phone, I'm not stopping until I'll be able to buy something new in Europe or it dies of old age. It still works as smoothly and fast as it did on the 1st day, android phones on the other hand are slowing down despite getting more and more beefy hardware.
                    I wouldn't really agree that android phones are slowing down, necessarily... I think a lot of it comes down to user habits, specific vendors and other factors... My Google Pixel (1) is faster and better on battery life than when I first got it; Oreo is more optimized / quicker than Nougat (Oreo 8.1 Dev previews also have some speed improvements)... and that's just the 'stock rom' improvements, that come from Google...

that doesn't include replacing/developing a better kernel. (more battery saving, higher performance than stock. more optimization and better features)... tbh, I expect my android phone will continue to improve, not slowdown or get bloated (that stuff is mostly caused by a user anyway).

Comment

You can install and build the unofficial sailfish x also known as community port on your Xperia X, the difference is mostly no android support, no MS exchange support or predictive text input.
                      What do you miss?
                      Well, I don't agree. The Community Edition is quite dead, with just anecdotal contrinutions. And those limits in the Community Edition make is far less attractive even compared to Android.

I thought Jolla and SailFishOS were already dead. I'm surprised to read this news article about them...

Comment

Working...
                      X