Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jolla's CEO Provides An End of Year Update On Sailfish OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    You can install and build the unofficial sailfish x also known as community port on your Xperia X, the difference is mostly no android support, no MS exchange support or predictive text input.
    What do you miss?
    Well, I don't agree. The Community Edition is quite dead, with just anecdotal contrinutions. And those limits in the Community Edition make is far less attractive even compared to Android.

    I thought Jolla and SailFishOS were already dead. I'm surprised to read this news article about them...

    Comment


    • #22
      Is SailFish regular GNU/Linux? Shouldn't it be fairly easy to flesh out the application suite rather than having to use Android apps?

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by timofonic View Post

        Well, I don't agree. The Community Edition is quite dead, with just anecdotal contrinutions. And those limits in the Community Edition make is far less attractive even compared to Android.

        I thought Jolla and SailFishOS were already dead. I'm surprised to read this news article about them...
        The unofficial SailfishX isn't dead.
        The only reason i see to use Sailfish OS is that you don't want to use Android or iOS.
        And yes android will always have more support since i got many hundreds if not thousands times more developers than Sailfish OS.
        Originally posted by starkruzr View Post
        Is SailFish regular GNU/Linux? Shouldn't it be fairly easy to flesh out the application suite rather than having to use Android apps?
        It's linux distribution and you can compile and use many things you got on your linux desktop.

        Comment


        • #24
          I almost bought a Sony Xperia X twice this morning. I just can't seem to find one with Sailfish X pre-installed. *sigh*

          $219 for 64GB unlocked
          https://www.onedigitals.com/products...iABEgK23PD_BwE

          They need to get their money out of Sony not me. It's like they want to go out of business.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            The only reason i see to use Sailfish OS is that you don't want to use Android or iOS.
            That's a good reason to use Plasma Mobile. I can get an unlocked LG Nexus 5 for less than $99 used on eBay right now.

            The only reason to use Sailfish X is you're filthy stinking rich and you have money to waste. Funny though, I read all the Linux news sites every single day and nobody mentioned I could make a Linux smartphone myself for less that $150 USD (brand new). Then again, I still don't know anything that St. Nicholas did either and I'm pretty sure St. Patrick invented green beer, so... The More You Know (™)

            Last edited by InsideJob; 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM. Reason: corrected fleaBay prices

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I almost bought a Sony Xperia X twice this morning. I just can't seem to find one with Sailfish X pre-installed. *sigh*

              $219 for 64GB unlocked
              https://www.onedigitals.com/products...iABEgK23PD_BwE

              They need to get their money out of Sony not me. It's like they want to go out of business.
              As of now only F5121 is supported.
              There's some unofficial hack for F5122.
              Other then that take some time to see if anyone else had any success with other models and it might be a bumpy road.
              Originally posted by InsideJob View Post

              That's a good reason to use Plasma Mobile. I can get an unlocked LG Nexus 5 for less than $99 used on eBay right now.

              The only reason to use Sailfish X is you're filthy stinking rich and you have money to waste. Funny though, I read all the Linux news sites every single day and nobody mentioned I could make a Linux smartphone myself for less that $150 USD (brand new). Then again, I still don't know anything that St. Nicholas did either and I'm pretty sure St. Patrick invented green beer, so... The More You Know (™)
              Yes you can run plasma mobile if that suits you, i wont argue with you on that one.
              Use what ever suits you best.
              I can't buy LG Nexus 5 here locally, there's only LG Nexus 5X and it costs more then my Xperia X + SailfishX.
              If you try Plasma Mobile please report back on how i works and what doesn't every bells and whistles.
              And no i'm not filthy stinking rich and you have money to waste, but i do support Jolla.

              Comment

              Working...
              X