Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post
    I don't get it. This is one of the most used laptops today. It should be the first desktop ambition of Linux. I can understand that the touchbar is a wreck, but keyboard? WiFi? People should be working in those thing full time since launch. It's not like Linux doesn't have any advantage over

Say​​​​Say what you want, these are the laptops most people desire today, and they should have full Linux support.
    Given current proof it seems none with coding skills is giving a damn, and none with money to hire programmers is either.

Meanwhile, on Windows it works fine, also the touchbar has some limited functionality (F1-11 buttons, laptop function buttons and similar stuff).

It's logical to conclude that most of the people buying Apple use it as-is or install Windows because they actually need to get shit done on their laptop beyond the 3-4 art/music/whatever-oriented applications you might actually want a Mac for.

Comment

Originally posted by brk0_0 View Post
      I don't get it. This is one of the most used laptops today. It should be the first desktop ambition of Linux. I can understand that the touchbar is a wreck, but keyboard? WiFi? People should be working in those thing full time since launch. It's not like Linux doesn't have any advantage over

Say​​​​Say what you want, these are the laptops most people desire today, and they should have full Linux support.
      That's not true at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market...mputer_vendors

Apple sits just above Acer in terms of market share, unfortunately I couldn't find statistics on laptops by model however lets say that Apple laptops were the top few in sales by model, you're limited to a max of 7% which means that the vast majority of people (93%) want something else, and given that Apple hardware has heavy special burdens of proprietary nature in hardware that other vendors lack, it's no wonder that their support is such crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Yeah , Macbook is the worst option if you want to use Linux on it. So he is right on that aspect.

Lenovo laptop i was talking about was a brick actually. Lenovo Thinkpad T430 , great solid case but zero tear down ease.
        Was that around the time of the Core 2 Duos? I think my brother had one of those. I had a x60 and prior to that a T41. Both were solid provided from the company I was at. I never had to work on them though, but neither did the IT guy cause they never failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
          Lenovo laptop i was talking about was a brick actually. Lenovo Thinkpad T430 , great solid case but zero tear down ease.
          This is the one I have. You find it hard to work? I found it a breeze near other stuff I had to work with. Not the easiest, sure, but at last things are not glue together.

Also, is good to say that Lenovo, HP and Dell are the only ones providing complete maintenance manuals for virtually all their models, something other vendors should do to.
          Last edited by M@GOid; 10 November 2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
            An inevitable thing though that is universal, is the thinner a laptop gets, the harder components get to replace. A few might be simple, but there will always be compromises made.
            Tell me about it. I have a Samsung NP535, a "ultrathin" ("ultrabook" without a Intel CPU), with a wimpy A4 Trinity, and the screen got a vertical line. Turn out the screen bezel is both metal AND glued. So if I decide to change it, I need another bezel, because once you remove the metal one, it do not go back to the original shape, even with all the care of the world.

And to make things happier, the lid articulation locked, so I cracked the bottom of the thing without noticing...
            Last edited by M@GOid; 10 November 2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Given current proof it seems none with coding skills is giving a damn, and none with money to hire programmers is either.

Meanwhile, on Windows it works fine, also the touchbar has some limited functionality (F1-11 buttons, laptop function buttons and similar stuff).

It's logical to conclude that most of the people buying Apple use it as-is or install Windows because they actually need to get shit done on their laptop beyond the 3-4 art/music/whatever-oriented applications you might actually want a Mac for.
              Absolutely untrue or at least strongly dependent on the field. There are many deeply professional fields where Macs are the main work horses. Traditionally, that was any type of media creation (especially print). Today, the required software is mostly also available for Windows so it is now a matter of preference. But don't forget - as I have mentioned somewhere before - basically everyone I know who has to do with high performance computing and most researcher working with large datasets have Macs as their client machine. I am not going to reiterate the reasons since people here get really mad when I do but it really is a great fit Most people using Windows at work beyond the occasional letter and administrative work need some software like CAD/CAM suites. Those things are just as specific a use case as the media creation. The truth is: For most people "getting shit done" means having Excel and TeX at the most. Those things are available mostly anywhere.
              Last edited by GruenSein; 10 November 2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

Was that around the time of the Core 2 Duos? I think my brother had one of those. I had a x60 and prior to that a T41. Both were solid provided from the company I was at. I never had to work on them though, but neither did the IT guy cause they never failed.
                Yep , Core 2 Duo series.

It also didn't fail for me but because of the dust it started heating and making annoying fan noise.

Because of that i did all the thermal paste and dust cleaning and believe me, it was not easy. For do that properly i even forced to unseal keyboard and screen hinges.
                Last edited by Leopard; 10 November 2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

This is the one I have. You find it hard to work? I found it a breeze near other stuff I had to work with. Not the easiest, sure, but at last things are not glue together.

Also, is good to say that Lenovo, HP and Dell are the only ones providing complete maintenance manuals for virtually all their models, something other vendors should do to.
                  I found that hard to opening up. Fujitsu AH530 was a joy comparing to that. All components were easy to reach and that was a solid laptop too.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                    Michael does the situation improve when booting Fedora 27?
                    Do you have any reason to believe that F27 would be different than Ubuntu 17.10 with a 4.14 kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                      There are many deeply professional fields where Macs are the main work horses. Traditionally, that was any type of media creation (especially print). Today, the required software is mostly also available for Windows so it is now a matter of preference.
                      Absolute myth created by Jobs and his buddies in the media and Hollywood. There was never a time when Macs had a corner on any form of software for more than a few months before Linux or Windows or both caught up and surpassed it in raw numbers.

Comment

Working...
                      X