No announcement yet.

Apple's Late-2016 MacBook Pro Is Still A Wreck With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should I spend money for an overpriced personal computer not even tailored to run Linux?

The other day I did a comparison between and iMac 27'' and a Precision 5720 All-in-One 27'', the latter is more powerful and cheaper than the former.

From my opinion this kind of article aren't interesting at all.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Do you want a high end laptop to run Linux? Thinkpad. T Series Thinkpad. Don't look any further.

I bought mine used for a fraction of the shiny 2/3 years more modern model. Everything works out of the box. Very easy to repair yourself IF something break. And as is a high volume model, always have support from the community.

Or if you are at the States and can live with the US keyboard layout, you can always look at the System76 models.
      Myself, I will be using Dell Latitudes for a while as I have collected 3 of their docks when I left my last company. The Thinkpad's are solid. Basically, anything designed for Enterprise is going to be solid.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
        Basically, anything designed for Enterprise is going to be solid.
        *apart from Acer business line.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
          Short info: Either the compiler isn't identified correctly or an outdated version was used. With the current Xcode 9.1, the Apple-llvm version should be 9xx something.
          macOS 10.13.1 with Apple LLVM 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.29) + GCC 4.2.1 + Xcode 7.3

I am just surprized such old crap is even running on 10.13.1. Of course performance will be miserable. I will consider this test as unfair, because first thing you should do before any benchmark - is to install latest (or equal on differend OSes) versions of software. GCC 7.2.0 can be easily installed via Homebrew and Xcode must be updated also.

Comment

I don't get it. This is one of the most used laptops today. It should be the first desktop ambition of Linux. I can understand that the touchbar is a wreck, but keyboard? WiFi? People should be working in those thing full time since launch. It's not like Linux doesn't have any advantage over

Say​​​​Say what you want, these are the laptops most people desire today, and they should have full Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Do you want a high end laptop to run Linux? Thinkpad. T Series Thinkpad. Don't look any further.

I bought mine used for a fraction of the shiny 2/3 years more modern model. Everything works out of the box. Very easy to repair yourself IF something break. And as is a high volume model, always have support from the community.

Or if you are at the States and can live with the US keyboard layout, you can always look at the System76 models.
              It is a myth actually , other brands are working good with Linux mostly.

From my experience ; i installed several Linux distros ( mostly Mint ) on Fujitsu , Samsung , Asus ( with Gtx 1050 ) , Lg and also Lenovo laptops without problems.

​​​My Asus even came pre loaded with Endless OS ( a Debian spin ) so Thinkpad's are equal to other brands for Linux compability to me.

Also as a note ; Thinkpad's are scary when you want tear them down for cleaning or upgrading. Frustrating.

Fujitsu was the easiest. I replaced it's cpu ( Pentium to i5 ) , it's ram ( up to 4 gb now , it supports 8 gb max though ) , it's hdd with an ssd and replaced thermal paste.

On Lenovo side , just reaching the fan was absolute pain.
              Last edited by Leopard; 10 November 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I don't buy Macs anymore, too many compromises, too little ports, thermal throttling , ... Macs even need secret efi magic to unlock dual graphics!!! https://youtu.be/OLIVqCFLv5Y

Comment

Michael does the situation improve when booting Fedora 27?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    *apart from Acer business line.
                    Agreed, my statement did not include Acer business line (didn't know that even existed), but then I also wouldn't consider a "Business Line" to either fall in as "Enterprise".

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

It is a myth actually , other brands are working good with Linux mostly.

From my experience ; i installed several Linux distros ( mostly Mint ) on Fujitsu , Samsung , Asus ( with Gtx 1050 ) , Lg and also Lenovo laptops without problems.

​​​My Asus even came pre loaded with Endless OS ( a Debian spin ) so Thinkpad's are equal to other brands for Linux compability to me.

Also as a note ; Thinkpad's are scary when you want tear them down for cleaning or upgrading. Frustrating.

Fujitsu was the easiest. I replaced it's cpu ( Pentium to i5 ) , it's ram ( up to 4 gb now , it supports 8 gb max though ) , it's hdd with an ssd and replaced thermal paste.

On Lenovo side , just reaching the fan was absolute pain.
                    Yes, there are a lot of laptops out there that work fine with Linux. I think his point was that if you want a solid built high end device option since the Macbook is not a good option for Linux, then the Thinkpad T series is solid and has been for a very long time. This is the bread and butter to the Thinkpad series.

Every maker has had better laptops than others, and can get great laptops from Dell's Latitude line or HP's ProBook line.

An inevitable thing though that is universal, is the thinner a laptop gets, the harder components get to replace. A few might be simple, but there will always be compromises made.
                    Last edited by audi.rs4; 10 November 2017, 06:00 PM. Reason: missed copy of second reply

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

Agreed, my statement did not include Acer business line (didn't know that even existed), but then I also wouldn't consider a "Business Line" to either fall in as "Enterprise".

Yes, there are a lot of laptops out there that work fine with Linux. I think his point was that if you want a solid built high end device option since the Macbook is not a good option for Linux, then the Thinkpad T series is solid and has been for a very long time. This is the bread and butter to the Thinkpad series.

Every maker has had better laptops than others, and can get great laptops from Dell's Latitude line or HP's ProBook line.

An inevitable thing though that is universal, is the thinner a laptop gets, the harder components get to replace. A few might be simple, but there will always be compromises made.
                      Yeah , Macbook is the worst option if you want to use Linux on it. So he is right on that aspect.

Lenovo laptop i was talking about was a brick actually. Lenovo Thinkpad T430 , great solid case but zero tear down ease.

Comment

Working...
                      X