No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Mobile Roadmap From A Feature Phone To A Full-Featured Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Plasma Mobile Roadmap From A Feature Phone To A Full-Featured Smartphone

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma Mobile Roadmap From A Feature Phone To A Full-Featured Smartphone

Longtime KDE developer Sebastian Kügler has posted a Plasma Mobile roadmap of sorts for those interested in the direction of this mobile KDE stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this context, may be KDE can start using Rust like Gnome did?

Just discovered this neat project: https://github.com/KDE/rust-qt-binding-generator

Comment

About Plasma Mobile itself - they should get rid of on-screen buttons, and use approach of Sailfish for gestures control. Or at least it should be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        About Plasma Mobile itself - they should get rid of on-screen buttons, and use approach of Sailfish for gestures control. Or at least it should be an option.
        It's KDE, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being an option, eventually.

Comment

Maybe this already exists, but every time I read about these possible free/open smartphone plans, I think it would be great to have some sort of project that worked on the lower-level core infrastructure that any of these phones would need. Things like baseband/modem libraries are what comes to mind. The stuff in a cellular phone that you don't fine in a tablet, laptop, etc. Then on top of this core, different projects could build their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            Things like baseband/modem libraries are what comes to mind.
            ofono: https://01.org/ofono

All mobile Linuxes use it.
            Last edited by shmerl; 31 October 2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

So he basically split Plasma mobile development into 4 stages:
              Stage 1 - Alpha "Look there's something moving on the screen" stage
              Stage 2 - A working phone - basically a phone everyone reading this would probably buy if it got to this stage. Working camera, IM, basic settings... 2 Interesting things included to be provided by the end of this stage are an SDK and AppStore. Probably different stores for apt and flatpaks. This is probably the stage desktop linux is in right now.
              Stage 3 - Getting the things people tend to need/want - I think the third stage is about actually getting 3rd party software on your platform. This is the stage WP failed to achieve I believe.
              Stage 4 - Getting the things people tend to like - they're talking about cloud integration and Android app support. I can imagine them thinking about a personal assistant such as Google now.

Comment

Thanks shmerl! I have heard of it, but didn't realize it serves as the standard low-level cellular modem/radio stack. Glad to know it is out there.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                  Stage 4 - Getting the things people tend to like - they're talking about cloud integration and Android app support. I can imagine them thinking about a personal assistant such as Google now.
                  you can trash that project right now. they do the same mistake sailfish did: promising android app support. this will lead to A) no one will code native apps if its not kde themselvs. because its not worth the effort getting in competition with android apps. B) the android apps will not work correctly, so every user gets angry because there are no native apps to switch to.

It seems like kde realized that is a real long road to ship a smartphone OS. At least that seems to have changed since the days with arrogant big kde egos like Seigo.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                    Maybe this already exists, but every time I read about these possible free/open smartphone plans, I think it would be great to have some sort of project that worked on the lower-level core infrastructure that any of these phones would need. Things like baseband/modem libraries are what comes to mind. The stuff in a cellular phone that you don't fine in a tablet, laptop, etc. Then on top of this core, different projects could build their stuff.
                    Well, there is the Halium Project. I remember when Plasma developer Bhushan Shah announced it back a few months ago. It's a Linux distro that standardizes the lower level software (such as Ofono as shemerl mentioned) in order to support multiple projects such as Plasma Mobile, UBports (Ubuntu Touch's and Unity's new home), etc. It uses Android 7 has a base because Bhushan Shah was hoping to add support for OnePlus 3, 3T, and 5 with it (but I'm not sure how far along that is).

I also want to mention that the blog has only one post since it seems that each developer prefers using their own respective blog/mailing list.
                    Last edited by CTown; 31 October 2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X