Purism Librem 5 Linux Smartphone Campaign Set To End At Around $2 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This isn't an Android phone running a closed firmware, it can't choose from modern SoCs optimized for mobile (and full of blobs).

Also, since it will run Linux Desktop applications (i.e. stuff that is barely optimized for desktop usage), yes you will need more processing power than what is enough for an Android phone running far lighter Android apps.
    It should be able to run binary apps as opposed to Dalvik/ART, right?

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck View Post

It should be able to run binary apps as opposed to Dalvik/ART, right?
      I don't understand this question. Dalvik/ART are android specific runtimes (JIT/AOT respectively) interprets the code. If something is binary, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN COMPILED and as long as you compiled for the right machine, it should run regardless of the runtime. "Android is optimizing app 1/180" is literally the progress bar for pre-compiling those apps so that it saves processing power later. Android is often slower because it relies heavily on interpretive languages which are basically always going to be slower than if it were written in something like C.

If it can't run binary, it doesn't run anything! Android is already on top of Linux so it could easily be made to run android apps.

So, what the heck is your question?

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
        I don't Think a phone should be bigger than your pocket. It is a phone not an ipad competitor.
        Speed, is that really still a factor that is important? Aren't we at a stage of development where even the cheaper models are fast enough for fluent swiping through apps and beautiful games?
        Nowadays It is more about additional hardware and a good camera and battery life i would say.
        Agree, I couldn't find decent dual-sim smartphone with screen smaller than 5".

We're at stage of HW development, where it would have been possible to run apps and games fluently on low-end models. But, it's not reality. HW performance can be measured, but hardly can we measure performance of an application. Most of the developers are using high-end mobile devices to do development, and common people use middle/low end devices. If developers were developing on the slowest devices available on the market, then we would have seen "fluent" applications. This applies for websites and android apps. Lots of developers doesn't have any algorithmic background, and they are happy if they can at least "glue" the logic together. Nowadays, lots of people/clients/developers focus on fancy instead of performance, which is sad, because I just want to get the job done, and don't bother with micro-waiting on slow applications.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This smartphone won't run Android anyway, so you don't need so much resources.
          It would be great though if it could run Android apps.

Comment

Not sure what can be done with $2 million in 2 years (i.e. $1 million in a year which is only enough for 5 developers in a year; then what can 5 developers accomplish in 2 years? If they can make a mobile OS in 2 years, then perhaps they won't ask for $200k/year, but $400k/year; then what can 2 1/2 excellent developers do in 2 years? ).
            Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            It would be great though if it could run Android apps.
            Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by dxxvi View Post
              Not sure what can be done with $2 million in 2 years[...] If they can make a mobile OS [...]
              A lot of work is already done, for example we can look for
              - "Plasma Mobile running on an actual device"
              - "Plasma Mobile running on Nexus 5x"
              in https://dot.kde.org/2017/10/13/kde-p...t-world-summit
              Last edited by Nth_man; 24 October 2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Agree, I couldn't find decent dual-sim smartphone with screen smaller than 5".

We're at stage of HW development, where it would have been possible to run apps and games fluently on low-end models. But, it's not reality. HW performance can be measured, but hardly can we measure performance of an application. Most of the developers are using high-end mobile devices to do development, and common people use middle/low end devices. If developers were developing on the slowest devices available on the market, then we would have seen "fluent" applications. This applies for websites and android apps. Lots of developers doesn't have any algorithmic background, and they are happy if they can at least "glue" the logic together. Nowadays, lots of people/clients/developers focus on fancy instead of performance, which is sad, because I just want to get the job done, and don't bother with micro-waiting on slow applications.
                I'm probably going to buy Sony Z3 Compact until this comes out.

Comment

Working...
                X