Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERES-I DIY ARM 64-Bit Linux Laptop Released For 240 EUR

Phoronix: TERES-I DIY ARM 64-Bit Linux Laptop Released For 240 EUR

The TERES-I has been released as a do-it-yourself ARM 64-bit Linux laptop. The price isn't bad, but it's also not targeted as being a high-end/performance-oriented laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Give me at least 1GB more RAM and replace the Allwinner with any ARMv8 SoC with better GPU support and I'll buy it. Though I'd prefer more storage, 16GB is enough for all the applications I'd use, and the home folder could be mounted to an SD card.

I'm also not quite sure if the USB port is 2.0 or 3.x. Since this is ARM based, I have less of a need for USB 3.0, but having one would still be preferred.

Comment

If it has got decent keyboard, and if would have had at least 64 GB memory, then it would have been great starting laptop for non demanding users, which use computers mostly for browsing and typing (chats, emails, social networks, blog comments...). Also, it needs to have a good battery life.

​​Is it possible to install any Linux distribution with ARM build on this laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Give me at least 1GB more RAM and replace the Allwinner with any ARMv8 SoC with better GPU support and I'll buy it. Though I'd prefer more storage, 16GB is enough for all the applications I'd use, and the home folder could be mounted to an SD card.

I'm also not quite sure if the USB port is 2.0 or 3.x. Since this is ARM based, I have less of a need for USB 3.0, but having one would still be preferred.
        So change all the specs and you _might_ buy it

Comment

Cortex-A53 is the weakest ARM 64-bit core.
          So you would probably want something stronger such as A57, A72 A73 or A75.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 that's in smartphones is a Cortex-A75.
          So this laptop is weaker than a smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            So change all the specs and you _might_ buy it
            I wasn't aware an entire computer could be summarized by just the GPU and quantity of RAM </sarcasm>

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Cortex-A53 is the weakest ARM 64-bit core.
            So you would probably want something stronger such as A57, A72 A73 or A75.
            I'm pretty sure the A35 is the weakest ARM 64-bit core, but I can understand the confusion.

Though I'd prefer any of the more powerful cores, I reckon I'd be fine with an A53. Unlike a smartphone, this ought to handle higher clock speeds. The main reason I'd want one of the better chips is primarily because they're more efficient. When I buy ARM, performance-per-watt is my top priority.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

And would pay the extra that would mean, or would you look at the price and get an x86 based system instead?...
              The problem with these Allwinner SoCs (and pretty much every other ARM based SoC) is the lack of support (drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                And would pay the extra that would mean, or would you look at the price and get an x86 based system instead?...
                An extra 1-2GB of RAM is not going to bring up the price to x86 systems... I'm not aware of any new laptops you can buy for roughly $300 (MSRP) that would offer better performance-per-watt. I'm sure there are ~$300 models with better performance, but worse battery life and/or more heat.
                The problem with these Allwinner SoCs (and pretty much every other ARM based SoC) is the lack of support (drivers).
                Hence why I want a different chip. But there are ARM SoCs with decent drivers, if you're willing to use closed-source (which I am). The thing is, even the closed Mali drivers aren't that good, at least in my experience.

Comment

Why not get an old ARM based chromebook? $79 from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIADUJ6FR9419

Same memory 2G/16G. Same screen resolution: 1366x768. The chromebook does have less battery, but the I/O looks similar with the Chromebook adding in a USB3.0 port.

Dual A15 at 1.7GHz vs a quad A53 at maybe 1.1GHz? I think most people will take the A15.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                    Why not get an old ARM based chromebook? $79 from Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIADUJ6FR9419

Same memory 2G/16G. Same screen resolution: 1366x768. The chromebook does have less battery, but the I/O looks similar with the Chromebook adding in a USB3.0 port.

Dual A15 at 1.7GHz vs a quad A53 at maybe 1.1GHz? I think most people will take the A15.
                    Terrible Linux support. It'll run, but you won't get GPU acceleration. CPU rendering on ARM (especially an outdated dual-core) is not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X