No announcement yet.

Librem 5 Smartphone Hits Its $1.5 Million Dollar Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 13 backers in the ~20k$ tiers it looks like some corporate backers really want this to happen (Shuttlefield is that you?). As it is a huge effort building a suitable software stack, I hope someone is chipping in here.
    However I could fear that some of the big companies will use the patent game to put and end to this initiative.

Personally I think 600$ is to much to bet on this, but I wish them my best luck and might buy one, if it turns out OK.

Comment

I didn't think Librem5 would get fully founded but it is and it will be exiting to see how it ends up, congrats Librem 5.
      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Keyword being: "developers, developers, developers".

Still kinda sad, it is still better than Android.

I was sure it was dead the moment Microsoft bought Nokias mobile division, when Nokia didn't take the heavy load anymore.
      I would have loved if Nokia had continued it's original plans instead of jumping on the WP crap that never really had any future.

Comment

may you go where no Ubuntu Phone has gone before

Comment

I want duck duck go for search, encrypted addressbook with upload/storage (I've already started to write one), a text editor, gedit with onscreen keyboard/swype-like capabilities would be enough. It's exciting that there's a project for ppl who still prefer coding for a phone in C/C++ to java development.

Comment

Well, I don't think we should compare this project to Sailfish, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Mobile interns of success/failure, since those projects had different goals (get significant market share and compete against Android/iOS), while Librem's goal is to build a phone running only FOSS.

Comment

DMJC you should look into Nextcloud/Owncloud.

Comment

This is great!!!
                I am even satisfied if it ships with the i.MX 6.
                The is still hope for a future with software freedom now.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                  This is great!!!
                  I am even satisfied if it ships with the i.MX 6.
                  The is still hope for a future with software freedom now.
                  Except aren't the drivers for i.MX6 all closed-source?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Except aren't the drivers for i.MX6 all closed-source?
                    Maybe RPi hardware would have been better? RPi has free bootloader (WIP) and great free GL drivers (WIP).

Comment

IMO, Intel CPU and GPU is the best bet. Unfortunately, you won't get open source UEFI/BIOS firmware, bit you do have excellent open source drivers for all of the hardware (GPU, WiFi, sound etc.)

Comment

Working...
                      X