Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 5 Smartphone Hits Its $1.5 Million Dollar Goal

Phoronix: Librem 5 Smartphone Hits Its $1.5 Million Dollar Goal

With two weeks left in the crowdfunding campaign, Purism's Librem 5 smartphone initiative crossed its $1,500,000 USD funding goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they use i.MX 8...

Comment

I'm in and have a few others in as well. I believe the funding will accelerate now that the goal has been hit and the project is certain to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I really hope they use i.MX 8...
        Now that the project has more attention and will be getting more funding, I believe we will see a move to the better CPU package.

Comment

Congratulations!

P.S. I noticed something strange in the article... it was that there were no links to Phoronix from Phoronix! Is something going wrong in Phoronix? :-)
          Maybe it's because Michael Larabel previously wrote things like: Librem "will likely drop off in the days ahead as most crowdfunding campaigns do" (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...=Librem-5-100k). Well, thankfully Larabel was wrong again and Librem didn't drop off! Great news!

Comment

I would love to say this was unexpected, but it really was not. Growth was steady, and now that it's past the goal it's only going to spike.
            They can probably reach 2 millions if not more.

Comment

ah come on, blocked post above.

Comment

Great! I hope they will deliver what they promised. It would be great, if pure Linux would have made it to smartphones.

Though, there's a one thing Linux (and probably every OS) lacks regarding security. And, that's a simple & easy way to run apps in sandbox mode, ie. each app can access only its own data (and binary files / libraries). To access user data, a user will have to explicitly grant permission (confirmation dialog window shows up).

Comment

In related news:

Microsoft finally admits Windows Phone is dead

Comment

The phone is still a bit pricey. Not every freedom loving person will be able to afford freedom.

Comment

Working...
                    X