GNOME Joins The Librem 5 Party, Still Needs To Raise One Million More Dollars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    As part of the collaboration, if the campaign is successful the GNOME Foundation plans to enhance GNOME shell and general performance of the system
    ...but only if the campaign is successful otherwise not

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Other than that, many things in GNOME are pretty great, and some things are on the way to be even more great. Such as the coming cloud provider API in Nautilus.
      You're absolutely right, it was about time that the trays were reinvented.
      And even no cloud provider brings clients for Linux, they have to support our new cloud provider API.

Next target, redo a nice preview, photo viewer or music player. It's time too.
      Last edited by theghost; 20 September 2017, 04:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        GNOME needs other things.
        gnome-shell crashes frequently.
        gnome-shell performance is bad.
        The gnome-shell architecture seems to be bad and not scale well.

Nautilus has some insane defaults such as humongous icons.

Other than that, many things in GNOME are pretty great, and some things are on the way to be even more great. Such as the coming cloud provider API in Nautilus.
        I dunno, man, I stopped using KDE years ago because KDE4 and KDE5 were crash-fests for me, while Gnome 3 had near-perfect stability. That was just me, though.

Comment

Everyone is so pessimistic about this project. I think this is going to be the first Kickstarter type campaign I'm going to donate, even if it doesn't meet the amount of money needed hopefully it sends a message that there is alot of interest in this type of project.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            GNOME Foundation plans to enhance GNOME shell and general performance of the system
            Oh, can we have this for Atom-based tablets like right now?

Comment

Gnome needs to work on its On Screen Keyboard. It doesn't have enough nearly enough keys, or options for enough keys to be used with GNU/Linux. Not even basic arrow keys, far less function, alt, super, and control. It can't be used by a touchscreen with no keyboard.

There is no option in gnome for other input methods, like android.

It always takes up the bottom half of the screen obscuring what is beneath it. This works slightly better in android.

A really good OSK is florence. The only thing Florence needs is key roll-over on multi-touch screens

The other issue is that these types tend to really not understand how a phone, or a pocket tablet is diffrent than a laptop or desktop.

1. Battery life is at a premium. So is charging speed. Longer battery life, and faster charging gives you a longer tether from a wall outlet. This is a primary concern.

2. Ergonomics is also very much key. I am going to be carrying this thing around, putting it in my pocket, the ergo gotta be good. Because you are walking in public with this, fumbling with it becomes a headache.

3. Camera + Sensors + Radios. Lets be really frank what a lot of us are going to use this for. Data capture. Its a small very portable computer meant to be taken out in the world. Its also designed to be "Free" i.e. easy to hack, so, good sensors for data capture, including cameras, gieger, humitity, temp, accurate acceleromoters, accurate internal clock, etc.. can we put the wifi card into monitor mode? Packet injection? can it be reprogrammed via software?(i.e. SDR), can the DSP chip be reporgrammed? Can the bluetooth module be used for hacking/exploring? What about the NFC chip? Can that be used for exploring? How is the camera. How good video can it shoot? what kind of processing can it do? 3D Camera? Can it map physical objects? Is there an IR port? Can the IR port be hacked?

4. Good unlocked bootloader/recovery. I would like Team Win.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                Only reason I use Neon is because KDE Connect works so frickin' well with my Android smart phone.
                KDE Connect is really marvellous, and you don't need to use Neon or even KDE for it to work. Me personally I run LXQt on Arch Linux and just used kdeconnect-cli for pairing.

Comment

I use Gnome on my desktop and I like it more than KDE in terms of interface, but for a phone I would prefer to have KDE as it offered higher performance than Gnome when I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

I dunno, man, I stopped using KDE years ago because KDE4 and KDE5 were crash-fests for me, while Gnome 3 had near-perfect stability. That was just me, though.
                    That's something I've been noticing since the KDE3/GNOME2 era. It's not that one is buggier than the other, it's that their approaches to testing reveal minimally-overlapping sets of bugs, so which one you perceive as buggier depends on your personal usage patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Same for me but as of right now I use KDE on Debian stretch and it is very stable - crashed/freezes less then Gnome 3 on this machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X