Red Hat Planning Fresh Work On Linux Battery Life, Testers Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

IIRC Solus ships with TLP out of the box, so it's expected that it's going to last longer than most Linux distros that don't ship with TLP.

Also, which desktop are you running? In my experience, the best to worst battery life I get is usually something like XFCE>KDE>Unity>>>GNOME.
    Yes, TLP by default. I'm using Budgie.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What is the laptop? I think my 2014 MSI one manages 4 hours at best but usually more like 2..
      My laptop is a Dell Chromebook 13. I've replaced ChromeOS with Solus.

Comment

Hm, this might tie in with the Cherry Trail bringup, too. Cherry Trail can't suspend to RAM, only suspend to idle, which is supposed to put it into deeper S0ix states. The problem that I'm having is, it never goes to said states. And it's a hardware thing, it goes to those states automatically if the right components are powered down. So enabling to power down things like SATA links might allow entering these states (also, on Cherry Trail SATA is optional, eMMC is used for the most part).

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What is the laptop? I think my 2014 MSI one manages 4 hours at best but usually more like 2..
          I have something similar but somewhat older. Yet I get 6-7 hours of battery life while web browsing after some extreme fine tuning or 9-10 idle. One thing that does bother me though is that suspend doesn't play nice with all pci-e devices being suspended. Another is that disabling CPU's via cpuhotplug in the kernel is extremely buggy. I can't easily reboot without the scripts responsible for disabling cpuhotplug stalling the whole system. Or more specifically I can't hotplug the CPU's without turning on my graphics card for a second on some boots. It looks like the hat red developer is just working on cross-system fixes. So fixing up ACPI's crappy cpuhotplug would be of huge benefit for many systems like google's chromebooks which agressively do something similar.

Comment

Sent him an email, I've encountered this on my Dell Haswell, cannot get to PC7+ and I use low_power mode for SATA power management... still not good it seems

Comment

Working...
            X